MMA grappeling in street fights is it effective?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Jul 19, 2007.

?

grappeling effective on the streets?

1. yes

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. depends on the situation

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

wanted to start a discusion with you guys on the topic. I used to be really into judo and used to compete in judo. So obviously way back when it was the only way I knew how to fight. One day some guy was starting a fight with one of my freinds and I tried to break it up and then the guy tackles me and proceeds to try and mount me so he can start punching. I pull guard and he stands up and his like wtf? When he did I captured his leg with my legs and then swept him down and finished him off with a heel hook.

why Im unsure about using it on the street
    1. if your on concrete even with a shirt on your going to get pretty scratched up rolling on the floor in this circumstance my upper back was scratched up from rolling to sweep him.

2. any one can jump in and there isnt that much you can do when your on the floor with one person and other people get involved.

3. i dont know how people would react to dirty fighting like poking in the eye nut grabbing etc.

so what do you guys think do you think grappeling is really effective as self defense on the street or would you rather strike

2. Two toys

Two toys New Member

if its one on one i'd take it to the ground. most dudes are out of their element on the ground and locking in a hold will end a fight quickly.

only problem is you have to hold till they pass out if its a choke, or break bones/etc if its any given form of arm/leg lock. otherwise what are they gonna do? tap out? get up and keep fighting once you let go?

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

There are times when grappling is useful on the street mainly escapes and sweeps the last place you wanna be in a street fight is on the ground on your back.

4. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

If you're any kind of decent at any sort of grappling, you should either be able to stay on your feet or maintain top position on the ground.

PS, arm-drags and duck-unders are like kryptonite to drunks, and I've never seen an untrained individual survive a standing RNC.

5. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Just read this part. You went for a leg lock in a fight? Are you crazy?

6. Two toys

Two toys New Member

hold it till they pass out from the pain?

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

8. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

the advantage to grappling is that if you know more than the basics you will almost always win a 1v1 fight on the ground. and alot of fights end up on the ground.

the ground is not a friendly place though. asphalt, concrete, tile, wood, linolium, and whatever else it is generally sucks to be on. add in its probobly dirty as hell, so you dont know whats getting into the scrapes you will get. add in theres lots of things to bump into, from rocks to glasses to bottles to anything else thats usually on the floor in a bar/parkinglot/sidewalk/alley.

basically, its not a nice clean peice of mat or carpet.

you lose all your mobility, you cant run. you have no chance if his friend decideds to join in and jumps on top of you. you cant move and try to keep the other guy in between him and you.

the best defense in a fight is being able to run away :dunno:

edit: and groin shots....
    groin shots rock!

9. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

You'd be the first person I have ever talked to that decided to go for a leg lock in a fight. I think it is an absolutely horrible idea.

10. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

refer to this thread
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3317113

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

you can end a fight alot faster if you have good leg locks then you can with other options. if you do an armbar or arm entanglement they can keep fighting if you do a choke it takes some time before it takes effect. with leg locks if you can catch them quick and finish them they wont be able to walk afterwords so you can leave. in the situation i was in it was the best option i could think of at the moment because it was something i was training alot at the time in response to people standing up in my guard.

so you know how it is if you overtrain something your going to end up using it when the oppertunity arises. i was trying to set up a sweep when he stood up and i trained that move alot so it just happened and it worked out in my favor in retrospect it sucked because of all the scratches and shit i got from the concrete but it got the job done he couldnt get up and i left

12. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

The best defense is not to offend young grass hopper. :)

Seriously, if you have to fight, I think some good striking skills will work better in most cases. Granted, sometimes you can't help ending up on the ground, especially if the guy is bigger and managed to tackle your arse...

13. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

uhm why the hell are you talking about arm locks and leg locks, are you lying or just crazy.

if you want to end a fight put on a nice tight choke until they give up, and theyd much rather giveup then be choked out.

if you have to use grappling for self defense (seriously stop picking fights if its your own issue) its useful because you can achieve position through various pressures, not because you can latch on a fancy heelhook.

14. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Grappling in a fight, imo, is useful for getting off your back if someone tackles you, getting mount to pound on someone, choking someone out, or getting up and running the fuck away. That's it. :dunno:

15. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

A leg lock is better than an arm lock, and both are better than a choke? Now I know you have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry man, but this is just absolutely awful advice.

16. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Good point. putting your hwead right next to concrete is a much better idea.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I have to side with Shogun's theory on this one. Almost every fight ends up with opponents about a foot away form eachother in a matter of seconds.

That says to me that the most useful thing would be judo and a good thai clinch and good dirty boxing.

18. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

anything that puts them on the ground with you standing above them gives you all the options.

19. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:bigthumb:

not that I condone it, but there cant be a more ideal situation if you are forced to defend yourself.

20. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Yes it is effective. Getting me of my back, or not letting me get there in the first place. Taking mound or the back, and pounding the guy out. Maybe a choke if i felt it was the quickest way to finish, but its gaining the position and holding it that is the useful tactic.

21. friedrice

friedrice New Member

I have never been in or seen a street fight that didn't end up on the ground. Not saying alot but hey whatever. I see it as invaluable to be able to wrassal.

Enter Major Payne " You wana wrassal?"

22. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

i didnt say an armlock is better then a choke because its not. they could still keep fighting with an arm lock. the problem I have with the chokes is that when some one wakes them up they might want to start it up again. with the ankle lock the fights done theres no question because they cant walk

but thats just opinion every one has their own opinion at what works and what doesnt. I personally dont like grappeling on the street I like always having the option of running away if weapons get pulled out or more people decide to jump in.

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

truth but theres always going to be that one situation where something happens. thats why I dont really go out to clubs any more or certain bars because there are people in miami that go out looking for trouble

24. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

if you are worried about getting scraped from asphalt then you shouldn't be fighting :hsugh:

25. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I think defense with grappling might work to your advantage sometimes. IE if you get taken down and a rookie is trying to GnP you can work your way out. As far as offense goes I dont think that it is a great idea. Even i fself defense you can probably get in alot of trouble snapping someones arm with an armbar in a street fight. Probably more so than a knock out. And dont expect someone on the street to tap out. MT would be better IMO. Facing multiple people when youre by yourself just avoid it at all cost. Run. 5 people who have the slightest idea how to fight > trained single fighter.