Graphics Card Woes v.8500GT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Duncan, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Duncan

Duncan New Member

So I'm building a new machine and I decided I didnt need high end crazy graphics so I went with a middle-low range card; the 8500. Installed windows no dramas, then I go and install the supplied drivers... and it blanks out on me. Blank screen... hrmm ok. So I reboot, same deal. I try throwing it in to safe mode and try out a different driver release, same deal. Tried multiple different drivers, completly removing them in between tests.. same thing.

Uninstall all drivers, go back to the standard windows VGA one.. and its fine.. but as soon as I throw on an nVidia released on it has a fit. I did have one reboot where it worked (I'd swapped in an 8600 to see if that worked, installed the drivers.. it as fine, swapped back in the 8500 and it worked till I rebooted again)

Now you're probably thinking the card is dead, but nope its not - I've tested it in another machine and it works just fine.

Any suggestions? :(

For reference: Motheboard is a Gigabyte VM900M
    Graphics card: Gigabyte 8500 GT

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

3. Duncan

Duncan New Member

The other machine is Vista Ultimate also.

I have rev 2.0 of the board, and it looks like there might be a bios update (as of 2007/08/14)

Its kind of odd they dont mention anything other than Vista Basic, but it did boot fine with the 8600 :hs: