Graphics Card running to hot ???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I got a 6800LE and unlocked the pipelines so its O/C'd, its running at about 60 degrees celcius, the ambient temperature in my case is about 43 degrees right now, is it ok to be running at that temp? it has a huge heatsink and fan on it.

2. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

43 ambient is high for a case temp. Not too high, but high.
    CPU should be less than 50. Graphics card should too. 60 is too high if you ask me.
    My advice - Put a fan on the card's processor and consider better cooling for the case.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i didn't think 60C was dangerous at all for graphics cards. but still a fan is a good idea.

4. BoardTracker

Silicon circuit has a life span. This life span shortens faster when the temperature in which it operates is unusually high or low. (yes, very low temperature is also not good)

Optimal temperature for such a material is usually 20-45 degrees.
    CPU and other silicon circuits can work in 60 and even 70 degrees sometimes.
    We have had the "privilege" of operating a storage server with three of the latest LSI MegaRaid cards (extremely bad thermal design) that operated at over 70-75 degrees (very dangerous). They didn’t really operate as a matter of fact but crashed very often. We had to drill holes in the brackets, install special fans around the cards and chassis. We managed to bring down the temperature to 42 degrees and since then, not a hiccup.
    Temperature and computers mix almost as bad as water and computers :)

60 degrees will certainly not cause your card to fry on the spot. However, expect the life span in such circumstances to be much shorter than you will get with 40 degrees lets say.

(keep in mind another thing.. When you have a component in your computer case that heats up to 60 degrees, you get higher ambient temperature which is not good for the other components as well, including CPU and even harddrives. Lowering ambient chassis temperature is important as well)

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i realize lower temps are always better...but video cards can't really be expected to run as cool as other hardware in your system from what i have seen. My stock 9200 AGP card runs hotter than my overclocked CPU (and my CPU is fanless, jsut HS on it.)

what u said about ambient temps is good info though. my case is 20C right now and that keeps everything else cool. if it was 43C like his my fanless CPU would roast lmao.

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

7. BoardTracker

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

[deleted]

i like those - but i dont think they make them for your card...dangit. nevermind

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

expensive cooling for an expensive card :)

what would help more than any cooler and is probably alot cheaper, would be getting your case temps down.

If you've got a spare 80mm fan around, just lay that ontop of your existing heatsink on your card and it should cool it down real good. I did that with an overheating 5900XT and it solved all instability in games.

11. BoardTracker

That wont be very effective.
    When a specific card gets very hot, it requires direct cooling.
    It would be better to use the little cooler/blower indicated at firest than a general 80mm (or even 120mm) for the case.

Jeff Coleman: If the direct GPU coolers are too pricy, go with what you found in your initial search. its not perfect but its good option for its price. MAke sure first though that you have the space in your case to fit it in. Note, its 2 slots wide and should sit on the right of your GPU card (I think).

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

first off videocards are built to run hot. 90 degrees and you should be worrying.

Secondly I would never recommend a Thermaltake videocard cooler. Some of the better ones out right now are Zalman's VF7-Cu, and Thermalrights V-1.

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

thats what i meant...put the 80mm fan ON THE CARD. maybe i wasn't specific enough. that's as direct as any normal card cooler, and will surely push more CFM's than a little 40/60mm fan.

14. BoardTracker

:big grin:
    I guess that would work ;) but kinda hard to place it there safely/securely