Graphics card question?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arnderson, Feb 25, 2005.

1. arnderson

arnderson New Member

I recently purchased a evga Nvidia 6800 and installed it in my new computer. I was ready the reviews for the card and some of the said that they opened up the pipes to make it go faster. Can anyone tell me what this is?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

That's basically called "flashing" your card. People take a normal 6800 and "flash" it's BIOS to make it a 6800 Ultra. Thing is you have to have the right files (there all over the web i believe) and this is NOT GUARANTEED to work. Some pipes are "damaged" and when you flash it they don't work properly. A bad flash could result in a non-working card or a somewhat functioning card.

The manufacturers might take a 6800U that has say 1 bad pipe, and dumb it down to a 6800 non-U, since they don't need that damaged pipe. Or in some cases they just make them with all functioning pipes and sell them as 6800 non-U's.

If you aren't familiar with it, and you've got not idea how to do it then i suggest www.google.com as a first resource. It's somewhat risky but alot of times it works. I personally would just keep your 6800...it will overclock to 6800U speeds most likely and its an AWESOME card...you don't NEED to flash it for any reason (unless you get bored and can take that chance)

3. arnderson

arnderson New Member

Alright thanks for the help. I just got my comp so i don't think i will get bored with it for a while, so i don't think i will.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

That's kewl...i wouldn't either with a brand new card. Simply overclocking it is fun enough:)

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

warranty == void.

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Ditto.