Grandma-made afghan blanket

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by PaulfromPA, Jun 14, 2008.

1. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA 1/4 polish

Hello,

Cliffs notes: What color(s) or pattern for a blanket are timeless/will go well with many interior decors?

I was over at my grandparents house yesterday and my Grandma asked if I could use a hand-made/crocheted afghan blanket. I jumped at the chance and now she needs to know what colors/design I would like. I currently rent as I am still in nursing college and have little interior decoration knowledge. I am 24 years old and male.

So I plan to use this afghan in the winter of course, will probably keep it draped over a couch and hope to have it for a lifetime.

My initial thoughts were maybe a white, light brown, or navy blue and to use a cotton material. The pattern maybe something like this without the balls in the center:

[​IMG]
    or more simplistic:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any input!

Paul

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

that's pretty impressive
    that white/cream looks pretty good and should go with most things

what color is your sofa

3. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I like the first one, shit is baller

4. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA 1/4 polish

Thanks for the input:)

I think I will go with a white or cream color and probably will not use it with the sofa at my place right now, which is an old checked one my roommate owns. I think I will wait until my current roommates move out or I get a new place to decorate nicely. For the time being I am happy to save money and know that any girlfriend is not a gold-digger.

Also I received a very valuable response at another forum:
    "I paul Welcome! - My Grandmother did the same with me about 20 years ago, and while I did not realize it at the time, I now treasure this gift from her, she is gone now, and everytime I see this handmade blanket, I cant help but be reminded of a life time of wonderful memories, when she asked me what I wanted, I had no idea, and was not interested at the time, so of course I said "Whatever you want to make Grandma, don't go out of your way, she created somthing very similar to your second pic, its about 3x6 feet, and a neutral cream color, my wife loves it, and throws it over a leather reading chair of mine, I would say the simple patter has worked for me over many years of changing taste and style, as well as colors, I would say keep it simple and go with a color that will give you flexibility down the road, just my two cents! It took me many years and the lost of my grandmother to realized what a wonderful gift something like this really is! [​IMG]"

Take care everyone,
    Paul

5. KinKin

KinKin Guest

i like the first one

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

:bigthumb: heirloom :x: