GUN Grandfather mistakes grandson for deer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 20, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TOWN OF SAXEVILLE, Wis. — A grandfather fatally shot his 18-year-old grandson in northwestern Waushara County during the opening weekend of Wisconsin's nine-day gun deer-hunting season, a warden says.

David R. Ruck from the Saxeville area died at a Neenah hospital after he was shot Sunday morning, Sheriff David R. Peterson said.

"My heart goes out to the family and to the community," said Tim Lawhern, conservation warden and state director of the Hunter Education Administration.

Deputies responded to a report about 8:40 a.m. that a hunter had been shot on private property in the town of Saxeville.

Ruck had been shot in the upper leg and inner groin, Peterson said, adding that the shooter said he mistook Ruck for a deer.

The sheriff's department and state Department of Natural Resources were investigating.

The gun deer season opened Saturday, with an estimated 630,000 hunters participating.

No statewide deer kill figures were reported Sunday.

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I think gramps might need some glasses. :ugh: If I ever shot a family member while hunting, I'd have to kill myself.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

One I find it slightly weird that in a story about a human death, they bother to mention no dear kill numbers are available.
    Two gramps should have know is target before shooting at it, but the grandson probably was out tramping around where he shouldn't have been, the news story does say it was private property. Still a very sad story and not enough information given to us to truly make a call on what happened there.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Grandpa should of positively ID'd his target before pulling the trigger.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd: I thought I mentioned that, "always know your target."

Still if the grandson was out walking around the deer track during hunting season without the proper Orange clothing, well it wasn't the smartest idea on his part, but he by no means should be blamed for what happened.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah possible too, I just assumed the grandson was hunting also :o

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah wearing the same color blanket as a deer durring hunting season may not be the brightest thing to do.

8. H.P.

H.P. Guest

I feel bad for the kid losing his life. But at 18, you would think you would know better than putting on a brown and white blanket in the middle of the woods during hunting season

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I feel bad for him too, but being on private land dressed in colors that resemble a deer during hunting season, like you said at 18 years old it should be understood that it is a bad idea especially when you have been exposed to hunting because your grandfather hunts.

I wonder if the kid was out there with his grandfather or if it was just really bad luck that both of them where there, after all it was private land and there couldn't have been too many people that where allowed on the property during hunting season.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

That sucks. The grandpa should have known his target a lot better. I wonder just how far the shot was, and what kind of scope he had. Not saying it excuses it, but a kid in a deer-colored blanket 350 yards away might be too easy to discern from a deer.

11. MTech

MTech New Member

That grandfather has to feel awful... that's horrible. I wonder how close range it was I'm kind of amazed he died from being shot in the leg

12. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Oh man, I'm so sorry for him.

13. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Probably out the middle of no-where. He might have bleed out if it hit a vein or artery.

14. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

You sever the main arteries to either of your legs and you'll bleed out surprisingly fast.

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd: a nice dear round with an exposed lead time and that mushroom has a good chance of shattering bone or severing the blood vessels.