GUN Grand Jury clears Horn in shooting from last November

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 30, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6235878
    AP

HOUSTON -- A suburban Houston homeowner was cleared by a grand jury Monday for shooting to death two men he suspected of burglarizing his neighbor's home.

Joe Horn, 61, shot the two men last November after he saw them crawling out the windows of a neighbor's house in Pasadena, a Houston suburb.

Horn, a retired grandfather, called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a shotgun and was going to kill them. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.

"The message we're trying to send today is the criminal justice system works," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson told reporters at the courthouse.
    Story continues below
    Advertisement

Horn's attorney, Tom Lambright, has said his client believed the two men had broken into his neighbor's home and that he shot them only when they came into his yard and threatened him.

The two suspected burglars, Hernando Riascos Torres, 38, and Diego Ortiz, 30, were unemployed illegal immigrants from Colombia. Torres was deported to Colombia in 1999 after a 1994 cocaine-related conviction.

The incident touched off protests from civil rights activists who said the shooting was racially motivated and that Horn took the law into his own hands. Horn's supporters defended his actions, saying he was protecting himself and being a good neighbor to a homeowner who was out of town.

"I understand the concerns of some in the community regarding Mr. Horn's conduct," Magidson said. "The use of deadly force is carefully limited in Texas law to certain circumstances ... In this case, however, the grand jury concluded that Mr. Horn use of deadly force did not rise to a criminal offense."

Magidson said nine of the 12 grand jurors would have had to vote in favor of an indictment in order for Horn to be charged. Lambright said this week that his client regrets the shooting and would stay inside if he had it to do over again.

Lambright did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment from The Associated Press.

In the 911 call, a dispatcher urges Horn to stay inside his house and not risk lives.

"Don't go outside the house," the 911 operator pleaded. "You're gonna get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun. I don't care what you think."

"You wanna make a bet?" Horn answered. "I'm gonna kill 'em." After the shooting, he redialed 911.

"I had no choice," he said, his voice shaking. "They came in the front yard with me, man. I had no choice. Get somebody over here quick."

Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves if it is reasonable to believe they are in mortal danger. In limited circumstances, people also can use deadly force to protect their neighbor's property; for example, if a homeowner asks a neighbor to watch over his property while he's out of town.

It's not clear whether the neighbor whose home was burglarized asked Horn to watch over his house.

Statement from City of Pasadena

With a decision by the grand jury not to return a true bill against Mr. Horn, a panel of citizens drawn from the community has determined that the facts of the incident did not warrant the handing up of an indictment for criminal actions. The grand jury, hearing the available facts and witnesses as well as the law to be applied in this case, is in the best position to make that determination.

Mr. Horn has satisfied the state, through the grand jury process, that his actions do not warrant criminal prosecution on these charges. We hope that the decision of the grand jury, while difficult for some to accept, will be respected as the product of a careful weighing of all the facts by an impartial panel of citizens.

This incident has been a tragedy for all those involved, changing lives forever. The obvious lessons that can be drawn from it are that criminal activities are inherently a dangerous lifestyle, and the prevention and pursuit of those involved in criminal actions are best left to the police. They are professionals trained to meet the unexpected circumstances of pursuit and apprehension. The City of Pasadena intends to continue to provide its police force whatever resources required to assure our citizens that their community remains a safe place to live and work.

2. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

Yeah, I was watching the news when they played the 911 tapes... didnt sound like he was fearing death or great bodily harm. I dont know what the laws are in Texas, but it seems like a bad shoot.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very questionable shoot, he would of got charged in most other states, but being the guys he shot had a long list of priors, were illegals who had already been deported once, I wont shed any tears over them they got what they deserved.

4. Liptonucf

Yeah I think I'll be able to sleep at night still.

5. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Why would they deserve death?

6. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I remember the tape. "BOOM YOUR'RE DEAD" :rofl:.

7. Liptonucf

[​IMG]

I was thinking this when I heard the tape, only I pictured someone about 200 pounds heavier.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Seems like a bad shoot, but then again we weren't there. I've heard cases of the police saying he was justified, and that he wasn't. Some mention the way and place the bodies were found indicate that they were infact on his lawn and moving toward him.

I think that any place other than texas this guy would be in jail, but being judged by a "jury of your peers" in a case like this would definitely sway the verdict.

9. Liptonucf

very true. I guess if your the shooter that can be a good thing.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I wonder how much he's spent to remain free.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

it was a stupid idea for him to do what he did

but i see nothing wrong with it

12. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

subforum ban

13. Liptonucf

:squint:

14. Liptonucf

agreed...

15. Liptonucf

Isnt it being a stupid idea, something wrong?:mamoru:

16. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I would be furious if he was charged with a crime... but then again, I don't really see it as a "bad shoot". :dunno:

17. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

so if the victim was a 9 year old girl walking across his yard who possibly stole the neighbors cat it would be an ok shot too?

18. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Because that is what happened... :rofl:

19. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

So he shot two UNEMPLOYED, ILLEGAL immigrants, one of which has already been DEPORTED ONCE for something related to COCAINE for B&E and ROBBING a house.

Yeah, it's a real shame these fuckwads aren't here today to further contribute to our fine society.

:bowdown: to him being cleared.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

But it could have been a small child taking a kitten. :rofl:

21. Liptonucf

ever hear of apples and oranges?:rofl:

22. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wow what a shitty post you just made there. :ugh:

23. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

He didn't know those facts prior to shooting them, therefore they have no bearing on whether it was a good shoot or not.

That said, I'm glad that they are no longer being leaches on the system, and that they did not survive the shooting further leaching the system.

24. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

He did know that they were breaking into his neighbor's house and stealing property. And they did have weapons in their hands, IIRC.

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

get the fuck out of here with that liberal logic