Gran Torino.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MrBlonde, Dec 20, 2008.

1. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

Let me know what you think.

I've always been a clint eastwood fan, more so admittedly in his early western work but still a fan.

I think this movie sort of brings the spirit or character of his younger "man with no name" character back into action, the bad ass don't give a damn type of figure that the world is too politically correct to accept any more.

Not to say the movie isn't excessive at some points but I think it fits his age/back story/what he's up against.

I thought it was a good movie that had a couple parts that really brought it down, including some terrible lines by some of the main characters.

Over all though, I enjoyed it because I enjoy clint eastwood doing what he does.

2. Megaton

Megaton New Member

Reviews have been mixed so I'm honestly not sure what to think of this. It's been a while since I was motivated to see a movie just because it had Clint in it. However, after reading the reviews I saw MDB (million dollar baby) and it was downright amazing, I was blown away. Looks like an interesting premise as well, so I may see this a littl down the line whether it's cheap theatres of the on demand button.

3. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

This isn't as polished of a movie as Million Dollar Baby, not at all.

I thought it was still good, but over all the story has sort of been told before and the reason I liked it was entirely clint eastwood being clint eastwood.

4. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

eh i thought it was great. /shrug

overthinking it ftl

5. DjMystery28

DjMystery28 New Member

Great movie Saw this the other night. Really enjoyed Clint Eastwoods performance. My dad has always been a fan and he got me into watching his movies.

6. TheBoyWonder

TheBoyWonder OT Supporter

anybody that says anything other than outstanding is a fucking asshole.

7. aldrinefedorov

aldrinefedorov New Member

was so disappointed with Eastwood's effort last year for the two-part saga of Japanese-themed epics, Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.He had this unexplainable going-on on both films which,of course, left me confused on his style as a director.loved Million Dollar Baby though.hoping that he will GO BACK to what a classic, dark director he was before.

8. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

just saw it, clint eastwood > *

o and, zipperheads cant act :rofl:

9. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

It looks like Clint Eastwood going all cowboy on some gangsters. Sounds good to me. :bowdown:

10. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

When the girl was talking to the black guys and was all like , "oh yeah another guy with a fetish for asians..." I thought either the line was out of place for some reason or her acting there was horrible, it felt out of place watching it.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

anyone who doesn't like this movie is a fucking fool that should just stop watching movies.

Holy shit good!!!

12. aimfox

aimfox New Member

it was a good movie. ahney her is hot!

13. pooperr

pooperr New Member

hmong gangsters... lol

14. whitesox

whitesox New Member

Right when I got out I could have easily sat through it again. Really good movie. At first I think everyone was unsure if they should laugh at some of the lines but as it went on the whole theater was laughing. I think Clint Eastwood did good in that area, wasn't too "out there" with the lines but still got the characters point across. Some of the acting was bad though...

Oh, I've got one. A Mexican, a Jew, and a colored guy go into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of here." :rofl:

15. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

This movie sucked.

Clint was a comically racist characature of himself who talked like the Bale Batman. This was the only entertaining part of the movie, and it was really god damn entertaining. This was the only thing that allowed me to make it to the end of this movie.

Everyones acting, save for Eastwood, was C-list, straight-to-dvd horseshit. The storyline was boring, unrealistic, and contrived. None of the characters, (again, save for Eastwood's), had any introduction or backstory. It was just terrible.

Anyone who liked this movie just has low standards and is easily entertained.

I about pooped my pants when Eastwood's character called the wigger an o'fey - which means punk cracker bitch. :rofl:

16. Gubly

Gubly Avert your eyes OT Supporter

The acting wasn't great and the writing definitely had some oddities, but it was a really enjoyable movie to me. Can't hate Clint Eastwood.

17. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Great movie

[y]HEXF7U5TYV8[/y]

18. Sammo

Sammo New Member

he's a 75+ year old smoker in the movie you stupid fuck

19. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

fantastic movie

20. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

loved it...real funny

21. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

Thats great and all, but Clint Eastwood doesnt smoke in real life, so in the movie he just ends up sounding like hes doing his best Tay Zonday impression. Good try, though, quick one.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  22. Sammo

Sammo New Member

yeah, he doesn't sound like Tay Zonday at all :ugh2: don't be an idiot, slow one

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

some people can't enjoy a movie unless it has 4 story tall robots in it so why bother arguing with an 08' who thinks a guy coughing up blood and is a chain smoker should talk with a clear voice with no rasp to it.

24. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

bwahahaha my taste in movies is suspect because of my join date at this forum.:rofl:

Please quote exactly where I said Clint Eastwood's character's voice should be clear with no rasp to it. You wont be able to, because I never said it. The fact of the matter is, his voice in the movie is so exagerrated and uber-Eastwood that it's comical. Every single person I have discussed this movie with has mentioned the same thing. I guess youre just oblivious to terrible over-acting.

No one can argue that the acting in this movie was anything but laughable. This is not up for debate. It was fucking garbage. If you think otherwise, you are very easily impressed, have no frame of reference, cannot distinguish good acting from bad, and your opinion means fuckall. The characters were dull, lifeless, and had no personality. There was no back story to anyone other than what was discovered through terribly contrived dialogue. The story felt extremely unnatural and forced, and things they tried to project came across horribly or not at all. Wow, Clint Eastwood's character is so fed up he caused a priest to use the lord's name in vain - not once, but twice within a 2 minute scene. The priest was omg soooo distraught over the tension within his 'flock' that he was driven to alcohol. Oh noes! How fucking lame and cliched can a movie get? This movie tried way too hard and was horribly executed. You fail for liking it.

25. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

This is the best description/analysis in this entire thread :bigthumb: