MIL Graduating college next year. thinking about joining.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FKY326, Feb 14, 2008.

1. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

i've thought seriously a few times about joining and i've done some research on the various branches, but i'm just looking for i guess opinions.

i want to do OCS, i'll be a logistics major so i guess Supply would be what i'd want to do. i went tonight to talk to an army recruiter and he pretty much turned me off of the army. he said they do officer recruiting there but i think that was just a ploy to get me in because he kept trying to steer me to enlistment. not to mention he wasn't the brightest bulb. anyways from what he said if i were to join the army i would have to pick between 3 different MOS and i'd just be assigned one based on what they needed. i'm not really looking for that. i have no real desire to be a grunt, even if i'm an officer. i'm not big on being shot at i guess.

anyways i'm just seeing if its like that in pretty much every branch or if when you join up you specify exactly what you want to do and pretty much get it.

i scored a 90% on the practice ASVAB thing in a loud room with a radio beside me. i'd say i could probably do better in a quite room if i was taking my time. (finished all the sections with more than enough time left). he said i'd be around a 130ish on the point system.

*cliffs* graduating with a degree in logistics, seeing what my options are with the different branches. dont want to be a grunt and did good on the practice asvab; 90%

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Can you secure a specific MOS as an officer?

3. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

i donno thats what i'm asking. the army guy said i had to chose 3 and they'd assign me one.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

in the army they choose for you when it comes to officers

5. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

As far as Army OCS goes. Once you put together your packet and score a 110 or above on the ASVAB you will go see the board. If selected you will enlist as a 09S mos. This basically just means officer candidate. As part of that packet I mentioned you will fill out a DA61 which lists 10 branches you are interested in and in the order you want them. For the most part you will be placed in your top three. One of the three must be combat arms. Make no mistake, your degree will mean nothing in this process. My degree was in Poli Sci and I got my number 2 choice of Signal Corps (Intel was my #1, Armor my #2). Im pretty sure just about everyone from my OCS class got branches in their top 3. Of course if you get one you dont want, you are able to trade with other officer candidates while at OCS. Dont let some D-Bag recruiter turn you off from being an Army Officer. My recruiter initially tried to tell me I would never get accepted into OCS. For further information on the whole Army OCS process a great forum is www.armyocs.org . If you have any questions for me feel free to PM.

6. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

werd my dad was in the army then went navy and when i told him i was thinking about joining the military he said dont make the same mistake as i did join the af guaranteed golf course on each base hahaha.

7. USAFdave

USAFdave New Member

We have 2 golf courses here!

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

don't join