SRS graduating and life choices.. halp!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pew pew pew, May 6, 2009.

1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

so im graduating in a few weeks and i have a job offer here in the $20/hr range + benefits. on the other hand, i have family on the west coast (long beach/huntington beach, LA) that have extended the invitation to go out there..

job is probably the best paying I will find for a while BUT, I know for sure I do not want to stay in this crappy town, the job is nothing near what I want to do and its mind numbingly boring

finding a job out there might be extremely hard, id have to live on the small amount of savings i have... and i would have passed up a steady job during a recession...

i have this itch to get out of this town that i grew up in and went to school in (rural smalltown) but i dont want to make a rash decision and burn bridges..

2. ForevererZero89

ForevererZero89 New Member

i know small towns suck major balls but i would not pass the job up.

3. JBunni

JBunni New Member

I would take the job at least for a while and keep saving to move out the CA. Its more expensive out there anyway. I would keep the move as a financial goal, and keep a close eye on it. Feed your body, then your soul.

4. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

if you have a job offer, keep it for at least a year, save up during that year. I make less than that, and I find it fairly easy to save up, so it should be much better for you. I lived on savings out of college and it lasted 3 months. So unless you have a substantial amount saved, don't expect it to last long. A year will go by faster than you would imagine. I finished college two years ago, and it seems like yesterday I was still pulling my hair out studying for finals.

5. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

depending on your field you may have to wait out the recession. I'd stick the 20/hr gig for a year or so, as I'm sure family won't reject your coming in that time.

In the meantime, network your ass off do a great job at the current job, get references and experience so it won't be as hard to find a job when you do decide to make the leap.

good luck.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Take it. Nobody is hiring right now, and as a new grad the thing you need the most is some professional expierence.

7. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

take the job, save up some money and move to CA in a year or so.

deal with the fact that the job is boring and not what you want to do. its part of life. you wont always be doing exactly what you want

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

In other words, you haven't even looked/applied.

Get of your ass and start the process. Go on interviews THEN make your decision.

Don't let a recession make you think that noone is hiring right now.

You also didn't mention anything about your education nor your likes/dislikes.

I can tell you from personal experience, working for family can help but it's extraordinarily difficult on those relationships....for both parties. I used to work for my brother and at times it was the greatest job in the world while at other times, it was absolutely the worst job I've ever had. There are so many issues that come up on both sides because of the familial ties.

I STRONGLY encourage everyone to avoid this situation. I watched it destroy my dad's relationship with his brothers and sisters and we never again did ANYTHING with that side of the family. When I started working for my brother, we talked about all of that but it was still extremely difficult.

Just go your own way....you'll learn from the process and grow more into an adult. Sure it's scary and you might fail but so what.....staying in a crappy town with a crappy job is ridiculous. There's plenty of opportunities out there. You just have to have guts enough to go after them.

40 hours week/ 52 weeks in a year = 2,080 work hours in a year * $20/hour = not much after taxes

9. ya go and look for jobs on monster, career builder, etc.. and see what you can find. do some interviews, some may even fly you out, than move if you get something....
    now if you can stay w/ family it does kind of ease the process a bit.

10. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Depending on the field and the area $20 an hour for a grad job isn't that bad.

Not up the usual OT standards, but most people on here lie anyway.

Get yourself out there, start talking to people and try and build yourself up. But experience can be just as important as networking in the short term.