MIL Graduated from college, thinking about military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gsxspeeddemon, Oct 1, 2007.

1. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

I graduated from college in may with a degree in finance. I have been looking for a job but havnt had much luck. I was primarily looking for a job as a financial analyst but its really difficult to get a leg in.

So lately i have been thinking about joining the military again. When i graduated from high school i was going to join the marines but i got a scholarship so i went to school.

Right now i have been thinking about applying to law school but i am not sure if thats for me. Besides i lack discipline and i am not sure if i could apply my self to take full advantage of law school.

So i am thinking of joining the Air Force as an officer. However i dont know what to expect. What kind of job would i get and what i would be doing. Would i get to travel or would i be stuck behind some desk. Can anyone enlighten me what i could expect if i would to join the air force or navy as an officer? What opportunities (career wise) would i have when i got out?

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Officer in the AF almost always = desk job.
    Unless you are a pilot, or one of the rarer technical jobs, you will most likely be a paper pusher. But look at it this way... you were going to be pushing papers anyway.

Look into being a finance officer. You will handle millions of dollars, even at the base level. That experience can mean a huge paycheck when one of the major financial institutions wants to hire you.

3. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

How difficult is it to be a pilot?

4. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

yeah how does the pilot process work? id love to be a gunship / fighter jet pilot

5. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Fact is getting into the AF as an officer is really really slim, Finance officer is probably less then a 10% chance of getting selected. How hard is it to be a pilot...hard, and pretty hard to get selected too, most of the time they want a good deal of Flt hrs a good GPA and good AFOQT scores

also time frame from applying to leaving for the AF look at about an year

first you have to get selected then its all determined by rank in class and openings, fact is most wont get a fighter or a gun ship.

6. jweb

jweb OT Supporter

I'll be graduating in May with a degree in marketing. I'd like to do something a little more exciting and worthwhile than an entry level job with a corporation. What are the benefits and how is the pay for someone entering the Air Force right out of college?

7. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

depends on if you enlist or commision. If you go officer it ends up being around 43k a year to start. But getting selected is not easy and takes about a year from application to leaving for OTS

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

It would be nice to hit the lottery also.

9. Rambro

Rambro New Member

how hard is it to become a Marine Corps officer? from what ive read, it seems like they always have openings for OCS as long as you qualify.

10. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

AF + Desk Job = Nevar promoted

Might want to also look at Army OCS as a College Op. Good stuff!

11. Changed

Changed Guest

So what are the best options for Marine or Army OCS?

I want to do something other than a desk job, but want something that I can use after I get out. (However, I imagine you could join some private defense group afterwards if you have Infantry experience :dunno: )

12. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

You can be a pilot in the Navy or Marines if you go officer too.

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Right now I'd go into Army OCS if you want a real shot at becoming an officer.

14. Changed

Changed Guest

will Army Infantry officer have any chance of getting a job post-military?

hell, how about surviving Iraq?