graduate degrees & CS jobs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, May 9, 2005.

1. ok, I've been taking classes, part time, off and on, for years. about to kill my associate's in IT, and transfer to an SE bachelor's program, going fulltime -- after years in the field, I've decided I need some real math and engineering behind me in order to do anything truly interesting. that said ... with years of experience in n-tier application and relation database development, plus an IT associate's, and an SE bachelor's, what makes more sense to pursue: a Master's in CS, possibly with an emphasis on either security or mech e, or an MBA? as long as I'm going back fulltime now, I'm getting a graduate degree, it doesn't make sense to do it later.

I like the R&D/pure science opportunities I think having a sci/tech/engineering master's would offer me ... at the same time, I like the salaries a technical degree + experience + MBA would offer me, but I don't think the roles are generally as interesting ...

am I off here? can you still do really high-level, interesting CS/SE stuff without a graduate CS degree?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I'm in the exact same boat right now. I'm graduating in December with my BS in Information Systems and cannot decide on the MBA or MS in Computer Science. I have some decent experience (for my age) but I'm just feeling bored of the same old problems I've been tackling for awhile now. I'm leaning towards the CS degree myself mostly because I'll enjoy the material more than the MBA. Not really thinking of job prospects from it...

3. samm

samm Next in Line

An MBA will not offer "real math and engineering" courses. I would get a Master of Science degree with a Thesis in either computer science or an engineering discipline if you would prefer to take math and engineering courses.

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Errrrrrrrrbody has a MBA these days...

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:werd: It's the new hot stuff.

6. Software Engineering will cover the math/sci ... Calc I, II (already taken), III (have yet to take) Stats I and II (have to take the second) University Physics I, II, III ... and if I get a physics or astronomy minor, Calc IV, modern physics, digital imaging, etc. etc. More than enough to work for almost anybody in Boston or NYC, particularly with my work experience, but not enough to work at, say, a national physics labratory, a military research center, etc. etc.

an MBA ensures I don't have to work under complete morons in a menial grunt programming role anymore, ever. plus it would make it pretty easy to bring in 90-120k in NYC. but an MS would let me head in teh direction of atom smashers and space planes.

7. technical/engineering degress + MBA w/ tech mgmt concentration == the win when it comes to salary in today's marketplace ... MBA doesn't guarantee huge money anymore, but it makes it a lot less likely that you'll be working jobs that are just as easily, and probably more cheaply, outsourced ...

now, a pure econ degree ... more power to ya. not my thing though.