SRS grad school or no grad school

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by captainstan, Apr 11, 2008.

1. captainstan

captainstan this is horse cock in tiny mouth

ok so heres the dilemma...I applied for grad school and after finding out how selective the program is i figured that i probably didnt get in so i started looking at different jobs....well come to find out that i got accepted...now a job that i probably have lined up is a 3-11 type job....so if i were to take the job i would have to put off grad school for a year...or if i go to grad school i basically have to start over on the job search....the other problem is that my fiance and i are looking at buying a house since it will be both cheaper than renting (we have a dog) and closer to jobs and or grad school....i dont know what the hell i should do....i am looking at state jobs and what not but a friend of mine is convinced that a state job wont last long in the field of social work that is.....so i might as well just go with the 3-11 job and put off grad school for a year......anyone have any sort of advice?

2. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

grad school for what?

edit: If it's for social work, you might as well go and get your MSW while you've been accepted. Don't put it off a year, you'll lose the mindset to go, and who knows, maybe not be accepted to another program? You're better off sucking it up and going to school and finding another job. Who knows, you may even be able to keep the 3-11 job. Depends on what time of day your classes are offered.

3. captainstan

captainstan this is horse cock in tiny mouth

thats pretty much what i was planning....im going to grad school for counseling...and the 3-11 job is pretty much out of the question simply because the classes are offered at night and the person i talked to about the job said that they dont allow people to go to grad school for the first year

4. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Dude, I don't know. I'm 1/2 way through my masters and it's a shit-ton of work. I wouldn't get into it unless you can commit to it. That being said- I'd go to school and put off the job for now. Just plow right through school and get a better job when you're finished.

5. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Makes sense. I have a friend in a school counselors master's program. She's a full time teacher's aide at a local school, as well. You just have to look for a job that will work for the schedule.

Be thankful you'll have time to work. I'm in a doctorate program, and I'm lucky if I work one day on the weekend. It's simply impossible during the week, and sometimes come the weekend the only thing I want to do is SLEEP!

6. admiral mcscruff

admiral mcscruff OT Supporter

i was going to ask what were your reasons for going to grad school

then i see it was social work, i would personally go back to grad school