MMA Gracie Barra Schools

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I just found that there's a Gracie Barra school near me. Anyone else train at one? How is it?

I like my current instructor, but I don't feel like I'm learning a lot.

Our classes (Minami-Ryu Ju Jitsu) now are structured as follows:

Warm ups
    Falls (back falls from sitting, squatting, standing, side falls, front falls)
    Kicking a pad (front kick, side kick, round kick, knees standing, knees from sidemount)
    Boxing drills (jab, cross, hook, uppercut, elbows standing, elbows from mount, from guard, and while holding your opponent in guard)
    Rolls (forward roll staying down, forward roll coming up, back roll, kip or aerial roll)
    Push drills (push from the back, roll, defend a punch, push from the front, roll, defend a punch, push from the back to front fall defend against a mount)

Then we'll work a standing technique against an attack for a few minutes. After that, we may work one or two ground techniques for a few minutes. Then we'll grapple 3 or 4 two minute rounds.

IMO, it seems we're doing a lot of drilling that's not really teaching anything, and then we don't get a lot of time to learn new material. Since I've never trained JJ in another dojo, I don't know if this is normal. This coupled with the tuition going up on my next renewal has me a bit disgruntled.

Should I maybe go check out the Gracie school? And what should I expect as far as dues go?

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Check out the other school, one session can't hurt and they are usually free to try one. And if your tuition is going up to be the same or more than the Gracie school I'd definitely think about switching.

3. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

We do very little live-opponent striking anyway, so it wouldn't be a loss. We have a boxing class once every couple weeks, but I never seem to make it there. Sparring against an opponent with a 16" reach advantage really isn't fun for me.

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Tuition is $90 a month, vs. the $125 a month I'm paying now. 3 classes a week, 90 minutes a class.

I may go do a freebie tonight.

5. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

The fee at my GB school is $55 a month, but that is only because our instructor is a chiropractor and only cares about us paying the bills. Classes are the same like you said, three times a week, but I am usually there for atleast 2.5-3 hours every class day (staying and grappling after class)

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Well, I rolled with a world class Brazilian Black Belt tonight and got absolutely schooled. :big grin:

But it was fun.

I also got caught in some weird gi choke by a blue belt, but tapped 2 white belts, one twice. So I guess I've got some skills.

I did like the atmosphere. The instructor is a bit younger than I am, and everyone is around my age except for two guys in their early 20's. There's definitely more comraderie there then at my current school. And he said he'd give me a break on the price and let me go with no contract if I pay for the final 4 months of the year ($80 a month). Also, he's fine with me training in my current plain judogi and wouldn't make me buy his with the "official" patches and what not. But like Drag On said, there's no striking whatsoever. On the plus side, I'm nowhere near as beat up after class as I normally am.

Now I've got a decision to make.

7. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i just joined the Gracie Barra near me and I am loving it. They really are like a family there and make you feel welcome and want to help you improve. My instructor trains directly with Carlos Gracie Jr. and Marcio Feitosa for Judo, so we work on a lot of Judo throws.

8. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Rafael Ellwanger