Grabbing files from XP on a Vista machine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Helios, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Helios

Helios New Member

Just ordered a new PC for the girlfriend to replace an older one and wondering whats the best way to go about getting the old files. Would it be at all possible to just remove the hard drive and put it into the new pc as a second drive, or would the conflicting OS's screw with things?

thanks in advance.

2. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Depends on the file permissions. You can run into trouble if the files are marked readable only by the old computer. Then you have to do some funky steps to move everything around. Assuming that's not the case, when you go to move the files over, Vista may bug you about having administrator permissions to move but usually it'll move them over w/o problem. Once moved, the permissions are under control of the new system.

Beyond that plugging the hd in as long as you have to correct settings on the system and hd you'll be fine. If SATA (Small connector), make sure the BIOS knows which drive to boot from. If ATA (Wide Ribbon), make sure the jumpers are set to the correct position for Master/Slave.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Network them, and share a folder.

4. Helios

Helios New Member

I don't the computer will even have an ATA strip so im gonna just go with the networking option.

Or load everything up on an external drive if I can find my fireware cord anyway.

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Networking them is a great way to go, just boot up both computers and share whatever files you need on the old one. Make sure to use a wired connections for this. If you have a crossover cable you can use that to connect the two computers directly.