grabbing a wireless signal to use wired

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chitown B, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. Here is the situation:

My buddy just got a new apartment, and it has free wireless. However, it will only allow 3 devices per household and they are MAC address filtered. So he has to give them the device MACs and that's all he can use.

He has more than 3 devices between himself and his roommate. So he wants to grab the wireless signal with a bridge/hub/router and use it within his place - ideally to hardwire his 360 to it.

What can he use?

i was thinking maybe a linksys flashed with DD-WRT, but i've never done that before and didn't know if that would work.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

does anyone read the stickies on the forum? the mods don't want this stuff in here.

3. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

this is not an issue - the apartment says he can do it, they only allow three macs but he can bridge if he likes. this is not illegal. i believe they bottleneck each connection anyway, so it's just an issue of having his phone being able to connect for blackberry (low bandwidth) and his 360 being able to connect, as well as his laptop and his roommate's. which is more than 3 devices, but will still only get the same amount of bandwidth.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

makes no sense. if he's allowed to have as many devices as he wants, then why bother limiting to 3 MACs anyway?

5. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

because their routers can't handle that many connections i guess. i didn't make the rules, i just read them.

i know that in my apartment complex, there is free wireless with no limit to devices. i have like 8 and the routers crashed all the time. i ended up getting my own internet, but i assume that was part of the problem.

he also has two Tivos which both connect, for very minimal BW rarely. you can see how it's a problem.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

If he's got a laptop that can connect to the wireless network, set up Internet Connection Sharing on the wireless connection and plug the 360 into the laptop's ethernet port. I've done this before and it works great.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Should be able to use an AP as a bridge. I've never actually set one up though and I'm not sure if you can do it without the other side being configured as such.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

He's not bypassing security. The 3-MAC rule is most likely to keep the building's IT guy from having to wade through a sea of MAC addresses; there's nothing wrong with connecting all of your crap to a single bridge point and then giving the IT guy the MAC of the bridge point. Nobody's going to be able to steal his wired signal anyway, so you can't even argue it's a security risk.

9. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

thanks guys. i'll try the suggestions.