Gps

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bernice, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Bernice

Bernice New Member

I am a technology dud but I am making a conserted effort to get better. I am looking at buying a GPS system for my car and I heard that Tele Atlas provides the best maps and most accurate navigation. Can anyone give me some more information on GPS systems? All help is greatly appreciated.

2. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

3. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

my wife has a tomtom 700 and it is pretty dang nice. it was a great purchase. or are you looking for a laptop based setup?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you can make room to bring a laptop in your car, I'd buy MS Streets and Trips with the optional GPS receiver.

5. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Yes, I have heard that TomTom 700 is great. Did your wife find it fairly easy to use? I dont think i want a laptop base set up. I like how the TomTom is portable.

6. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

yeah, she caught onto it after a few minutes of using it. it is VERY intuitive to use, and if you get offtrack it will automatically reroute you :bigthumb:

7. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

thats what we used before the tomtom 700, it is convenient for finding directions and looking at a map or tracking your route, but it is WAY more difficult to use if you are alone in the car.

8. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Why is it more difficult to use if you are alone in the car? Do you think it takes two to operate the TomTom?

Also a funny little side note that I also learned about the TomTom is you can have it give you directions in different voices. The different categories are cool, sexy, celebrity, comedy and rude. Who would have thought these voices would come out of your GPS. Here is the website if you are interested, its pretty funny.

http://www.satnavvoices.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=2 :rofl:

9. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I think you misunderstood me. The tomtom is a piece of cake to use when you are alone in the car. The laptop is a motherfucker to use when you are alone in the car.

EDIT: also, your link goes straight to microsoft.com :hsugh:

10. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I just want to make sure the Tom Tom is a fairly simple gadget. As for the link, here it is. Whenever I click on it I get the right page, hmmm.

http://www.satnavvoices.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=1

If that doesnt work then I am not too sure.

11. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

yes we are very happy with the tomtom, it is very easy to use and pretty damn accurate. It is actually significantly better than I expected it to be. Some of the reviews I read said that it was crap, but they were totally wrong.

12. Bernice

Bernice New Member

keylempa, thanks for the help, I think Tom Tom is the way to go!!! Your help has been much appreciated!

13. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

glad I could help. Your second link up there works fine ;)

14. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

The microsoft receiver is pure crap. I bought one, and it stoped working, returned it and got another one. that one stoped working also. Plus, there isnt anything to really mount it. SO i got a USB GPS receiver from ALK technologies and used that. Has a magnet mount so i can put it on the outside of my car. and ive had it 5 times longer than BOTH microsoft receivers, and still flawless.

15. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Wow seems pretty reliable, does it have all of the features of the Tom Tom? Just weighing all of my options here.

16. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I dont use TomTom. those kinds of systems cost waaay too much. I use laptop based software.

17. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I also have the microsoft reciver and it has worked just fine. We even GPS tracked our flight path from LA to Austin with it :eek5:

what software do you use? The streets and trips software is crap.

after using both for an extended period of time, the tomtom wins, handsdown.