gps on a laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by giantgreenhead, Sep 17, 2005.

1. giantgreenhead

giantgreenhead New Member

Im looking to buy a gps reciever and some kind of mapping software for my laptop. Does anyone have experiences with any of them or know of somewhere that has more information?

2. JayGee

JayGee OT Supporter

Microsoft Streets with the GPS addon.

3. giantgreenhead

giantgreenhead New Member

do you have it? how good is it?

4. JayGee

JayGee OT Supporter

I only have the software but only used it a few times to map out trips. It's good for that.

5. wtfzaphod

wtfzaphod New Member

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

7. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

8. Ash. Housewares.

Ash. Housewares. Shop Smart

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Depends on what you need to do...

If you're looking for something pretty and only for USA, Delorme is good. I like their software. It takes a little bit for it to load, but once loaded, it moves pretty nicely. The biggest advantage, I think, is it has a good display that is actually useable while driving (not saying you should be monkeying with it while driving, but if you have the urge, this software is good).

Problem is it doesn't cover anywhere else but the USA in detail (it has some Canada stuff, but not on a street level).

For Canada stuff, I HAD to go with Microsoft Streets and Trips. I switched from Delorme's Street Atlas to MS Streets and Trips when I crossed over into Canada at 1000 Islands. It was accurate just like Delorme's and had great Canada coverage with one spot that hadn't been updated and caused me to briefly get mis-routed. Otherwise, it got me to the outskirts of Montreal. Then the stupid bundled GPS receiver crapped out and stopped sending a signal to the notebook just as I was about to start taking exists to my destination. Luckily I had a printout and was able to follow that. The tech support at Microsoft was ok. I then dealt with the GPS manufacture. I was pretty much screwed - either return the device and get a new one or send the bad device in to be serviced. This meant no GPS action while I was in Canada (the GPS receiver I have with Delorme doesn't do NMEA v2 output so I couldn't use it with MS Streets & Trips).

For driving, Delorme. Period - unless your in Canada or elsewhere in the world. MS Streets & Trips user interface SUCKS when you're in the car. Even if you pull over, it takes too much effort to navigate - like zoom in and such. And if all you want to do is glance over to see where you're at, its a bit tough since they don't make your marker very distinquishable. If you're looking for map points (like restaurants, etc) then I'd say go with MS Streets & Trips (Delorme has this info too, but I don't think it was as rich as MS's product).

MS Streets & Trips has a nice "within X miles" feature where you select the miles and it will draw on the map the areas within that distance as well as the points of interest. That was handy while I was in Montreal to locate seafood restaurants close to the hotel.

Delorme's GPS has held up great. Its small size makes it nice to stow away. And it locks on to satellites very quickly. MS's bundled receiver is small too, but was a bit more difficult to keep in place in the car. Its lock on required a good solid minute - long enough for you to think, "is this thing working?" and then you start messing with settings which really messes things up. The cool thing with MS's bundled receiver is they do make a bluetooth dock for it - but its like $80 for the dock itself.