GPS Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TripleLindy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

I was wondering if anyone here is an expert on GPS systems. I am thinking of buying one as a gift, and am trying to decide on a model. I've used the TomTom One before, and really liked it. It was really easy to use and got me where I was going fine. But, I'm also considering the TomTom XL-S, which just came out. It's a little pricier but has more features, like Text-to-speech. Any ideas?

2. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (8925: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

depends on if the person using it would care/use those features.

3. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

I think some have free map downloads, IMO that would be an important feature to have cuz some companies want to charge for that stuff.

We need a free and open source GPS receiver where people can build their own maps and we can d/l them for free. Someone srsly needs to build this.

4. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

Well, it's for my parents, and I think they would just need it for city driving. Both the TomTom ONE and the ONE XL-S have a feature called Mapshare, which allows you to share map updates with other users. I'm pretty sure this would eliminate having to pay for map downloads.