GP Crew anyone been a game tester?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by FunkyMunniez, Dec 6, 2009.

1. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

I remember hearing about a few people on here that were game testers for awhile and I was wondering if anyone here could give me advice on how to break into that. One of my residents is a graphic design guy and wants to start working in the video game industry to build a resume and I have to help them as part of my job.

Anyone have any ideas where I can lead them?:dunno:

2. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

you can lead him to a shitty minimum wage job that sounds exciting, but really isnt.

3. FunkyMunniez

They're already aware. However, they took graphic design as a major to get into the gaming industry and it's logical that if you want to get ahead, you should have some kind of ground level experience.

It's like wanting to be a career fire fighter, you're going to get a better shot at a paid position if you volunteer first.

4. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

well have them send emails to indie game developers and shit. maybe even some smaller ones that are kind of well known and hope for the best.

5. FunkyMunniez

Do they have to send a resume right off or just introduce themselves first and start saying they want to be a tester?

6. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

Beta testing sounds like torcher, it's like eating delishious pizza trying to find faults. And eating the pizzas that taste like shit just to say they taste like shit.

7. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

I'd probably just come out and say that you'd like to be a tester, here's my resume and shit. something along the lines of that.

8. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

yeah bro, those pizzas were TORCHered

9. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

if only game testing was as fun as grandmas boy made it out to be.

10. Chaotix

Chaotix New Member

:rofl: If only it was that easy.

11. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

LETS FUCKIN RAGE!

12. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

:noes:

13. roose

roose Guest

My cousin and a good friend both tested at EA.

The job sucks ass, doesn't pay very well, is subject to insane hours and gets you no further ahead in the industry.

14. poin

poin OT Supporter

You get to test AAA games like Babiez and Horses for the DS. Enjoy.

15. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I was one and no you don't want to get into the industry. I am not sure about other companies besides EA, but if they are going by the standard it's not good. You will most likely be laid off during their slow slump anyway and even if you work your ass off they will probably still fire your ass and hire the lazy fuck that did nothing for the past 6 months. At least at EA they stopped hiring themselves but instead started using agencies to contract out testers so you were even easier to fire, and can't move anywhere in the company besides out the door. :wiggle:

16. FunkyMunniez

:rofl:

I'll pass that info along thanks guys:coold:

17. Redneck Shinobi

No problem. I wish I was warned before I jumped into it with high hopes only to have it crumble down. I was going to school for game programming at the time also, but the gaming industry even though it's booming, the companies are the ones reaping the profit and not the people. I could take my same skill set to an actual programming company and make twice as much as I'd make at any game company as a junior programmer. Plus they hire and let go so many programmers/artists it's fucking ridiculous. Like I remember working overtime that summer and running into a programmer than had been working 18 hours straight and when I came in the next day, guess who was still working lol. They are salary too so they don't get shit all for all that overtime just pressure. I'm glad I went through it to see what really goes on, and don't hate on some bugs guys because we do write up everything the leads are the ones that say we will leave it to to fix for next year.

18. FunkyMunniez

:rofl: i feel like I'm about to crush this kids hopes and dreams.:hs:

Is there anything else I can tell them about QA testing or is that it? Is there another way they can go if they want to break into gaming industry?

19. ionicwings

ionicwings Active Member

I was a Game Master once :dunno: we did alot of game testing and community management :dunno:

20. ionicwings

ionicwings Active Member

It's a shitty career though :o

21. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

No, its like eating the same piece of sausage from the pizza over and over ad infinitum and not being allowed to throw up or take a shit.

22. Redneck Shinobi

Honestly it's a bitch to get into. I mean depends on what path he wants to take, but he can go to school. He shouldn't become a game designer because that is a joke and I worked with about 90% of them. Artists get shit hours and are very expendable. You pretty much have to know someone in the company to even get a resume through or have a degree in it.

Even if Beta testing worked like you moved from that to lead tester then sr tester all the way up to producer (there is way more steps then that :rofl:) You can also be let go so fucking quick because if a game fails, guess who's fault it is :rofl::bowdown:. I seen one Producer lead of PlayOne get the short end of the stick and that mother fucker was a great lead.

23. roose

roose Guest

It's for the best, game testing is the absolute worst way to break into the industry.

There are lots of game development courses out there these days. You have to have the credentials first. Even so, it's a tough industry.

24. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

A lot of the testing is farmed out to third party QA companies now, same with the tech support.