LGBT Gotta question.,

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SeaMack99, Nov 1, 2005.

1. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

Ok I got a question
    I went out with a bunch of people from work the other day, and it just so happens that one of them was lesbian. She dresses like a man and carries herself like man. When our waiter came to take out order, he accidentally called her "Sir". The waiter didnt really know what he was doing cause he didnt even apoligize or realize what was she was. And she got mad that he called her "Sir"

How does this work? Im a little confused. If a person carries themselfs like a man and dresses like a man how do they have the right to get mad? Im not saying she didnt have the right to be mad but Im just lost. Can someone explain this to me?

2. Shadygirl

Shadygirl Love is Life and Happiness

If you dressed like one of those Emo freaks and looked girly would you not get offended that someone called you Mam? Also, maybe she's a lesbian that doesn't like men?

3. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

Yes...I would be mad if I still had short hair and generally looked like a man, but she looks and carries herself so much like a man.

I didnt know there were lesbians that still like men?

4. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Don't know specifically how it works with lesbians but trans folks like to be referred to by the gender they are dressed as. If they are dressed as a woman, then mame, if a man, then sir. Logic would dictate that would apply to lesbians dressed as guys as well.

5. Shadygirl

Shadygirl Love is Life and Happiness

I don't think all lesbains dislike men, I think most are just not physically/emotionally attracted to them. For the most part, I don't think this womans intent is to look like a man. I think its a apperance that she feels most comfortable and attractive in, but she still knows she is a woman and this is why its offensive. But I'm taking a guess here so I might be wrong.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

This is why you never use "sir" or "ma'am."

And NEVER ask generally how the person is doing. My goodness!

7. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

maybe she doesn't try to carry herself like a man... maybe that's just the way she is... Would she look silly if she was wearing a skirt and walked in high heels?

Sometimes, people just can't help that that they are different... some really nelly boys just can't help being nelly... it's just the way they are.

So, she was probably mad because the waiter didn't recognize her as a woman, when she's probably being as womanly as she can be.

8. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

Ironicly I think she would be really cute.

Its cool...I want to ask her but Ill just leave it alone

9. Faghot

Faghot We had one foot on the gas& one foot in the grave, OT Supporter

well, there are 'lipstick lesbians' who are attracted to 'butch lesbians'. I would think they're just not sexually attracted to men in general, which is why they're fine with manly women, since they are, in the end, a woman.

Some lesbains can just be tom boyish or guyish. It's just in their nature and personaility to be that way. So being called Sir would be offensive.

10. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Queen Bee

lesbians at least the majority of them like men just fine. They just aren't attracted to them sexually. We are capable of having friendships though just like everyone else. Most of my friends are guys. I don't hate them I just am not into them sexually.

she probably doesn't want to be seen or reffered to as a man. That's probably just how she naturally carries herself and how she feels comfortable dressing.

It sounds like the waiter just wasn't paying very close attention.

11. [Bartleby]

[Bartleby] New Member

I think she is a bit too sensative. A waiter just saw someone sitting at a table, probably looked at her a total of 1.5 seconds.. He didnt make his statement on how she was acting or talking, it was on how she was dressed. And if she was infact in mens clotheing ans she was called sir then she should deal with it.

If I buy a dress and grow long hair, shoul dI get offended when someone glances at me and calls me ma'am. No

12. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

good point

13. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I know a lot of lesbians who feel most comfortable with str8t men, as opposed to str8t women and gay men.

But anyway, I'm constantly getting referred to as 'mame' and 'miss'. It is rather infuriating, because I don't think I look like a women at all. (People just need to update there schemas...long hair, arched brows, nice skin, and self-manicured nails does not mean 'woman'.)

14. [Bartleby]

[Bartleby] New Member

Ya know, its the eyebrows, people have adjusted to women with short hair.. but damn if the eyebrows dont throwm me off.. I want to know when it was that eyebrows became so bad?