Got to run a system in the back of my Truck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Feb 28, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Every year a group of us participate in the local Easter Parade. It is my job to arrange a sound system for it. This is a local dance group that I do it with. Every year w/o fail we seem to come across a problem. Last Year we used a 1000W RF car audio amp hooked up to some lame 15inch subs with more than enough tweeters/mids. It sounded fine for our use however halfway through the parade the amp overheated. Year before that we had horrible 200W Sony home theater amp (which I knew would not work well) hooked up to a 1000watt converter. Needless to say after turning the amp up during testing just parked there the receiver overheated and had to use the trucks speakers instead.

Okay, this year here's what I have...

1000watt converter
    big home theater 15inch speakers (rated @ 150)
    two smaller 10inch speakers (rated @ 150)
    a Technics SA-DX940 (about 3 years old)
    ipod for our music.

not sure on the budget from the group I am going with, but usually not high :eek4:

Any input would be great. Oh and don't say I need new speakers b/c they are fine for my purpose. thx

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

sounds like all u need is bass, id go with something like this instead:

3 IDQ subs or 3 elemental designs KV.2s with an edesign amplifier, not sure about wiring

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Ok...I don't think I mentioned this...I am in Phoenix in the middle of April...ya its fucking hot...So any reccomendations for keeping my shit cool besides for putting it in the cab of the truck, b/c that failed too. Maybe a seperate AMP that is made for handling this kind of power???

Thx

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

1)make sure your amp isnt trying to handle too much by looking at its rms wattage etc,

2)u shouldnt be trying to run home audio equpiment in a truck, thats just a bad idea

3)if u need to keep it cool i suggest for A) keeping it shaded and for B)keep moving air on it

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

make sure you're not dropping the ohm load on the amp too far

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:werd:

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Ronin...do you know where I would find an edesign amp or anything comprable, and what to look for when buying it, besides for power specs of course? I am thinking about 400-500 watts should be plenty if I have it set up right.

Much appreciated

8. darkslayer

darkslayer There is more to life than increasing its speed.

elemental designs amps page. . .
    http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=amps
    watch your gain settings. it is not a volume control. you will clip the signal if you have it set to high.
    be careful how you wire the subs to the amp if the ohms are to low you will overload the amp.
    keep the ground wire around or under 3 feet.
    try running cooling fans on the amp.