Got tires rotated and balanced and....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by popsnbeer, Jul 28, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I did this in hopes of getting a small vibration out of my steering wheel from about 60-65 mph. After taking my truck (2006 dodge dakota) to get the tires rotated and balanced, the thing shakes all over the place. I had the shop rebalance and put the tires back in their respective positions, and it is still doing it. I need to figure this thing out and am hoping you guys have some ideas. One of the techs said that I may have a damaged rim, but I don't know when that would have happened and why is it just now so prevolent? any input is appreciated :bowdown: I'll try to get some pics of this truck on here soon for you (tacoma and frontier) guys to flame!

2. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

They can or should have checked the rims to see if they are out of balance and tell you. Also you could check out your rotors and pads. If you are on the highway and you hit your brakes does the shaking get worse or stay the same?

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Is it 4wd/are you sure its coming from the front?

Could be a drive shaft.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

not the rotors, i have felt that vibration before and know what its like. no the vibration doesn't start when i hit the brakes.

CB - yes it is 4wd and recently my steering has been a little tighter (read heavier) than normal. but this started before the rotation/balance issues.

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

but here is the whole story....(it seems I may need to tell it)

2 weeks before rotation/balance I was off road (read dirt road) and hit a few rough spots that rattled the truck pretty good. I tried turning after getting off that road and it was like I did not have power steering (almost felt like a back rack in my steering). I turned left and then right and it was really tough to do, but then it went back to normal.

1 week before rotation/balance i went off road and into some pretty thick mud that required 4wd. I almost got stuck but was able to get it out. No specific steering issues, but a lot of caked mud on the frame. I washed this next day and spent about an hour with a hose and nozzle getting the truck and underbelly/steering components free of any mud.

day of rotation and balance, I picked up the truck and drove it without noticing a problem however, I only got the truck up to about 45-50mph. I was on my way to go pick up my boat to tow to the lake (about 30 miles away). Hooked up the boat and went on my way without noticing too much shaking or shimmying (about the normal amount for a larger trailer). I dropped off the boat and then on my way home I started to notice this shake I had discussed in the earlier post.

2 days after brought the truck back to the shop to rotate back to original location and rebalance. drove the truck home and it still shakes, but the shakes occur at a little different speeds (65-70 instead of 60-65). After talking with a few of the techs that worked on it they said that they did notice a "hop" in all of the tires, but they were able to balance them to zero. they said that it could still balance but when driven it could produce these symptoms I am explaining.

I am not sure what's really the problem and I cannot tell really what part of the truck is shaking.

Here are some thoughts that I have come up with or heard from others'...

-Defective tires (under 10k miles on them and probably under warranty still) (they are 265/70/17 Dynapro A/T-M's if you care)
    -Damaged rim (I can't see visible damage on any of them)
    -bad motor mounts? (someone thought this)
    -bad rear end (not sure which part but its the dodge 9.25 w/ 3.92's and stock LSD)
    -drive shaft (potential problem brought up by CBFry that could be explained by earlier occurances)

6. GammaRadiation

To eliminate the drive shaft, inspect both for lost balancing weights or damage. While you're under there check the motor mounts for any cracks on the rubber/silicone though I feel this is an unlikely cause as the vibrations would happen at the same RPM in lower gears as well.

Check your tires for any tread separation or flat spots.

It could also be your alignment, which would have been affected by the rough patches you hit offroad(and account for the awkward steering).

Any decent tire shop should have been able to tell if the rims were bad.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

If you were in a lot of mud first I'd check your rims on the inside and make sure mud isn't caked on. Then I'd see if you can jack a tire into the air and spin it and see if you hear anything bouncing around inside the tire. There is a chance you got mud inside the tire and its throwing off the balance. (BTW it doesn't take a lot to throw off the balance)

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

My Tahoe's rotors were toast and vibrated ALL the time, not just when using the brakes ...

9. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

have a shop check these things:

wheel balance (no tires on the wheels ... have them clean the wheels while the tires are off)

wheel runout (no tires on the wheels)

wheel and tire balance

driveshaft balance (you should be able to tell if a weight is missing)

alignment (incorrect toe / caster can cause odd vibrations at certain speeds)

rotors / brake pads / wheel hubs

tie rod ends for play, idler arms for play, sector shaft for play at the bearing.

shocks for blown gaskets and low oil (if they are leaking ... replace them)

steering stabilizer for blown gaskets or leaking oil (not sure if you have one)

all your steering mounts, motor mounts, control arm mounts (A-arms), and any bushings (front AND rear ... you would be surprised what rear anomalies will cause vibrations in the steering wheel)

im betting you have a bent wheel, blown bushing, or blown alignment.

10. GammaRadiation

You can BLOW your alignment? :noes:

11. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

thanks for the help guys. there are some things that I was suspecting, but a few new ones too. I will let you all know what the dealer says. I'm bringing it in in a few hours.

i am willing to bet its a wheel or alignment problem, but not sure.

I am honestly hoping somehow that all of the tires are defective and I'll get a new set :)

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay...slight snag. The dealer is wanting me to pay $100 to throw these tires and rims on their road force machine. They are also saying that the tires do not have a warranty to them. (I did not purchase these tires direct as they came on the used vehicle I purchased however, I know that the tires were brand new when I bought the vehicle). I was assuming that there was at least some sort of manufactuers warranty through the tire maker. However, they are saying there is not one applicable to me.

Am I fucked? Am I going to need to buy new tires or wheels if that is indeed the problem? All of my drivetrain components are covered under warranty still.

I have access to another vehicle that has tires/rims that will fit my truck. I was thinking about switching all of the tires/rims in the hopes of narrowing down the problem to either tires and wheels, or....anything else.

Does this sound like a good idea? I was hoping not to have to put this much effort into this damned thing though!!!

13. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

well...i brought these tires and rims over to Big O Tire and they noticed that there is a chrome cladding (read plastic hubcap type thing) on the outside of the wheel.

the problem with this is it is not removeable and they could not get it to properly seat on the road force machine for balancing. The chrome cladding has a smaller diameter than that of the actual rim and therefore does not sit correctly causing a small vibration or bounce when on the machine.

anybody ever hear of this before. they did not know what to do? i am calling the dealer tomorrow.

14. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

yes you can .... i did it once ... behind a dumpster ... for a hit of snow ...

15. GammaRadiation

lol

Did this ever get solved??

16. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

actually yes...Big O is retarted and I brought it to Discount and they solved it right away. Each tire was off about 3oz in weights!

Big o was trying to input the cone for the balance machine on the front of the rim, whereas Discount put it on from the back and it seated perfectly.

Needless to say...I am never going to Big O again. I even asked the manager there if they could fit it from behind and he said he has been doing this for 8 years and never done it that way and it cannot be done! Fucktards.

17. GammaRadiation

They fucked up a balance on all four tires that bad? LMAO

18. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Ya, no wonder it felt like I was driving down a rutted road on the highway!