A&P Got some new gear! v. My viewfinder > yours

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MSIGuy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

[​IMG]

Olympus OM-2 (taken with my BB Storm camera phone).

I'm taking a B&W film class in college and get to use this bad boy. It was my dad's old camera and I've got a 50 1.8 with it and a Vivitar 50-150 (I think?) as well as a sweet variable extension tube that gets to like 5:1. With the 50mm on there you can focus literally 3/4" from your subject! The camera also has a split prism focus screen in it that I'm starting to dig.

My first film camera, and I've yet to put any actual film through it (probably tomorrow...) but I'm physced to learn on it!

Any other OM-1 or OM-2 users? (He's got an OM-1 somewhere too...) Anything I need to know about? I'm still getting over how fucking HUGE and bright the viewfinder on this beast is! :noes: 5d what? :rofl:

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

thats pretty clean for such an old beast!

i always lliked the old Zukio lenses.

what do you focus on in school? i never took any classes, self taught.
    i like the Henri Cartier-Bresson style, focus on printing in the darkroom, and little else.

3. ksrogue

ksrogue Member

I got an OM-1!
    That was my first camera, and after I went to the grand canyon, my dad said it was officially mine. Also got a canon t50, but it sucks in comparison to the om-1.
    I know I have the F Zuiko 1.8 lens 50mm, but I'm not sure what else I have, but I'm on the way to work and I'll check when I get home.

Cool camera man, post some shots up when you get them!

4. cnred

cnred New Member

I have an OM-1. But I am super newb at SLR

5. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

I've heard spectacular things about their viewfinders. Digital SLR viewfinders suck unless their fx.

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

the thing i like is its simpler. not cluttered with boxes and af areas etc.
    i heard good things about leica VF so i just, now took a pic and i dont see whats so cool. it looks busy to me.
    its the 50mm/75mm framelines (who has a 75mm lens?)

[​IMG]

pic is bad quality since digi point and shoot lens is larger than a eye...

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

All I see in the OM-2 (when in M mode) is a little needle on the left hand side with a + and a - below it. Way clean. Oh, and I guess, the split prisim for focusing, but that doesn't really count.

Basicly the viewfinder in the OM-2 is like this, close your left eye, that's about how big things look in the viewfinder... lol

8. ksrogue

ksrogue Member

Yeah, those OM-1 and OM-2s are badass in terms of the viewfinder. I love the fact that when I give someone my old OM-1 to look at, they are like, WTF? I don't know how to run this. it's easy as could be... just adjust your aperature setting and shutter speeds for what you're shooting to get the best exposure possible in the light meter box on the side. SIMPLE SLR photography basics. I took several black and white photo classes in college where the professor used my camera as an example of manual settings and how to adjust for the best possible exposure.
    I'm kind of an SLR elitist.

9. Bloke

Bloke Banned

yes heres what my main slr is like. too busy!
    why cant digital cameras have a OM like viewfinder?
    [​IMG]
    minolta madness!
    shit is hard to photograph
    the circle is the "spot meter" area. nothing to do with a split prisim

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  10. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Film SLR viewfinders are overrated. My EOS-1 is nice but shit I don't really know what the big deal is :dunno: