Got some new crap

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by redfred18t, Apr 1, 2009.

1. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

These came in last week. Adapters have been made and are in transit from CA. If everything goes well, I will get tires and have the wheels by the end of next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the fronts

[​IMG]

the rears

[​IMG]

so jdm, its euro. (id throw some yen on there if I had some)
    [​IMG]

going on this car.

[​IMG]

They exceeded my expectations when they came in. It has the perfect size lip. I just cant wait to install them because its driving me nuts.

Also, things I want to do in the future:

-ordered black silicone couplers to replace those gaudy blue ones.
    -get a new front lip since I tore the old one off at the dmv (fucking curbs)
    -possibly fix the bumper
    -get my emphase side skirts painted and installed
    -cut off my milltek exhaust tip, and weld a turn down. the fill in the cutout on my emphase rear valence.
    -install my boser extension, but I might hold off until next year
    -possibly do textured rubstrips

2. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

You coming to Ocean State Dubs Dustoff bro?

Car is gonna look sick!

3. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Thats the one thats at Seekonk right? I think so. I probably wont have a front lip though lol. I'll bring in the trashed one and be like, thats why I dont have one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Zot

Zot OT Supporter

Oh man, I love VS-XX's...that is going to look sweet!

5. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

this isn't the same as New England Dustoff right?

i'll be at Primer :coold:

6. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I believe it's the same thing. I might also go to Primer.

Any of you guys going to that meet at rocky neck park (i think) on the 19th? I think I'll have the tires on by then, but I'm not sure if I want to take the car out that far without doing a lot of driving to make sure everything is solid.

When the adapters came in, I noticed they had a very slight bit of play in the centerbore of the wheel. I was curious, so I remeasured the bore. It was 73.2 instead of the 73.1 i originally measured. Now I'm pissed. I got the adapters and hubs made up specifically for this and now the hub is .1mm (or 4 thousands of an inch) to small. I'm gonna call up the adapter guy and see what he thinks and hopefully it wont be a big deal because I really dont want to spend another $365 on adapters.

I was thinking too, maybe they can machine the hub on the adapter down to something like 65mm, and then I'll just buy hub rings. What I SHOULD have done was get the adapters made up with the oem 57.1mm hub size and run hub rings in the first place. Then I know that I can run any wheel I choose.

oh yeah, some pics for fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They shouldn't poke out that far btw. For whatever reason, when I lowered the car on the blocks, it hardly compressed the suspension. No biggie though. Also I think I know what tires I'm going to run, most likely 215/40-18 falken fk452's

7. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

You'll be fine with that center bore. What you want to do, is torque the wheels fully and properly (you should do this with all wheels anyways... and each lug a little bit at a time, in a cross pattern.) with the wheel off the ground. Get a friend to come over and hold the brake while you do the fronts if you have to.

My hub bore is off a bit. I can't remember the size, but the guy I talked to said he can't even machine hubcentric rings that small. Torquing the wheels in the air and properly was his recommendation, along with many other people's.

8. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Is it just me or is that backspacing off?

9. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Thats the "vw style" I guess you could say. It actually wont sit that far out, when the wheels are on and completely compressed, it should only poke about 10-15mm out back, and sit either flush or very slightly poked out front

10. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Yeah thats what someone else recommended to me. Other people have been saying that the difference is so small it shouldn't be noticeable. Also Ive seen hub rings on sites that are like 1.5mm thin, so I'm assuming thats the minimum. If I still get vibration, I could get the hub on the adapter machined down to 65mm or so, and then run a 8-9mm hub ring. I will find out what I'm doing once I get the tires on and the wheels on the car.

Worst case scenario, I have to get new adapters made.

11. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Oh ok, I didn't know if that would work or if you would rub out the paint on your flair lips.

12. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

So I'm a total idiot. I'm rolling the wheel back to the truck and someone behind me asks me a question. I turned around and while doing so, the wheel fell on its face. FFUUUUUUUU. It's completely my fault because I wasn't paying attention. oh well.

The damage wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, but still, its damage. I'm going to bring it to this local powdercoating/wheel refinisher and see if he can fix it. I'm sure it is repairable. Worst case, I will need new lips (I highly doubt that). If that happened, I would get 1" wider lips and just rock the wheels as they are for the year.

But I'm sure it can be repaired with some sanding, a good buff and polish. Also it would be nice if I didn't have to get the tire removed. I'd try sanding it myself, but even I can't be trusted to do such a simple task such as moving the wheel to my truck. I've never hit a curb with any of my wheels before, yet I let one of them fall down on its face :confused:

I would really be happy if the wheel would be all set by tomorrow afternoon, but as long as its done by Dustoff, I will be happy.

Anyways, here's a pic of the rim from a distance. Also dont mind all the soap and other gunk.

[​IMG]

up close, you can see the damage. It's not bad, but still its spackled all over the rim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and pics of the stretch in the rear, not extreme but its more than I'm used to lol. Also its funny that the lip of the barrel is more exposed than of the lip on the face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the front is hardly stretched and I'm using the same size tire

[​IMG]

13. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I finally got my works on the car. I would have had them on like tuesday or wednesday, but me being a dumb porkchop wasn't paying attention and dropped one of the wheels on its face (rolling it to my truck and it tipped over.. ffuuuuuuu). There were contusions on the lip but I had it repaired. The lip looks brand new.

So anyways, this morning, I decided to install the wheels. I wasn't sure if I should have used anti-seize or not, so I skipped it, but I'm going to find out. In a couple days, I'm pulling the wheels off to make sure everything is tight anyways. Breaking loose the first lug bolt resulted in a broken extension but everything else after that was smooth sailin.

Oh yeah, I know I need to lower the car. I'm going to lower the rears about an inch, and maybe half an inch up front. I already bottom out in my driveway. Also, when I get my front lip and put my emphase side skirts, the car is going to pop.

And here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stupid extension

[​IMG]

14. idmcore

idmcore New Member

How does it look without the center caps? The logo really throws it off for me, mostly because they're LM reps and if it's anything other than BBS in the cap it might as well be VW or nothing at all.

But, fitment looks great! I like how they are more true to the curve of the LM's than the last set you had - Maybe a CF or black center cap?

15. Zot

Zot OT Supporter

LM reps?

:ugh::ugh::ugh::hsugh::hsugh::hsugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. idmcore

idmcore New Member

Sorry.
    Look -I didnt expect someone with a VW to be installing works, so i didnt read over it really carefully.
    Their design is a derivative of BBS's LM design. They're trying to emulate them, but the proportions and the curvature of the 'spokes' is off, so, basically, they're a japanese repro of BBS' LMs. end.

:wavey:
    I'm really just trying to figure out why it's a dick move to call LM reps what they are.

17. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

:p

Haha it's alright, it happens. But dont say they're a "derivative" of BBS LM's. There's a couple of differences for example different lips, "lip bolt" setups, the hub sections, spokes on the LM are flat while the works are round, and I do believe the LM is a 2 piece while my works are 3 piece wheels. The only thing thats similar IMO is that they are a mesh/Y-spoke wheel and have the same number of spokes. Saying that these works are LM replicas is basically saying every mesh/y spoke wheel is an LM replica. That's just preposterous.

Look at Work Meisters and SSR Professors. At a quick glance they look like the same rim but when you break it down they are completely different wheels.

edit: these are LM rep's
    [​IMG]

These are NOT LM reps
    [​IMG]

18. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

oh yeah I got some new pictures of the car that I neglected to post

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what my car looks like slammed (I had gotten about 10 boxes of tile and they were in the car)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

damnnnn check out that stretch lol. I really need to lower the rears but I'm too lazy

19. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

got more pics of my "lm reps" lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tzh

tzh New Member

nice car,nice rims