GUN Got some light primer strikes yesterday in the AR15

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Admitted, May 25, 2008.

1. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

First time it has ever happened and it happened quite a few times. I have used the ammo before and had no primer issues. So I am thinking some springs need to be replaced. I have no idea which springs though. Hammer spring? etc.? HALP1

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Are both the firing pin and firing pin channel free of dirt and oil? Are the hammer and trigger pins in their proper place? If you assembled it yourself, you're sure you put the hammer spring on facing the right direction?

The manual says to check for
    1.) broken or chipped firing pin
    2.) carbon build up in bolt
    3.) lower assembled wrong or with broken or missing parts
    4.) broken, defective, or missing firing pin retaining pin

Unless its been tinkered with or really high round count I think the odds are against the hammer spring being worn.

3. Admitted

I bought it used about 2.5 years ago and I can't remember the round count it had before I bought it. I have put about 3000 rounds down it. First time I've ever had this happen was yesterday. Happened probably 5 or 6 times in 30 rounds.

4. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

To confirm that it is was his gun and not the Wolf ammo, I threw the ammo that didnt go off in his AR into my CMMG. All rounds fired without a hitch.

5. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Have you pulled the firing pin out and cleaned it?

6. Admitted

I did before I went out. I'll double check either later today or tomorrow and let you know how everything checks out.

7. Admitted

Forgot to mention: A second trigger pull would set off the primer/fire the round.

8. Admitted

After it happened the first 3 times, I looked at the primers. All had dead on light primer strike, so I tried to finish off the magazine. When I heard a click and no boom (another light primer strike), I simply pulled the trigger again, the round fired, ejected, and cycled to next round.

9. mvizos

mvizos New Member

wow

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:wtf:

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Umm...pulling the trigger again wouldn't do a damn thing unless you were pulling the charging handle back an inch or two to reset the hammer...

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

You mean you racked the charging handle, which ejected the unfired round. And then it loaded a fresh round right?

Sounds like you just need a new hammer spring.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hang fires on modern ammo are almost unheard of.

Personally I wouldn't even guess whats going on until I hear back on a basic inspection of the hammer/trigger pins not walking out the side of the gun. I imagine the hammer isn't dropping when he pulls the trigger the first time and the light strike he sees is from chambering the round. The reason why I can't guess without knowing more.

14. Admitted

Ok. Just stripped the rifle down. I had recently started to clean with CLP. I cleaned it before I went out to the range yesterday. Well, to my surprise, it was filthy. Firing pin, upper receiver, bolt carry group, feed ramps, and the space between the barrel and the feed ramps were covered in gunk. I guess I over oiled it. (never happened before) I looked over the firing pin and hammer carefully. No cracks, chips, uneven surfaces, etc.

You were correct in assuming the firing was weird. I didn't rack the slide after the 3rd FTF. I simply pulled the trigger again, without touching anything and the round fired. If I would have pulled the charging handle back, it would have ejected the round. I had the light primer strike probably 3 more times, so 6 total, and the second pull of the trigger set them all off. I'm as weirded out as you guys. I am going to blame it on the massive amount of shit that gathered in my weapon in less than 30 rounds. Got to go easy on the CLP next time.

15. Admitted

ZCP M3 and Bursty were their for witnesses.

16. Admitted

All 3 primers had a dead center strike when inspected. All fired out of ZCP M3's weapon when he loaded them.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't think there was anything double action at all. The hammer didn't fall, he popped the round out and saw the hit on the primer that happens when a round is chambered and assumed it was from pulling the trigger. If it was gooped up dirty though who knows.

The pins that retain the trigger and hammer haven't walked out either side of the receiver?

I'd clean it thoroughly and oil it according to the guide and play with the lower for a while. Drop the hammer (don't let it smash the mag well) a bunch of times and see if it ever fails to fall when you pull the trigger. Clean the bcg very well and be sure the firing pin and firing pin channel are free of dirt and oil (slightest trace only). If all appears well, take it to the range again.

19. Admitted

Thanks guys. I read the PDF and just got finished re-reading my manual. I have never over-oiled before and this was a big surprise. I'll try and clean everything off with some brake cleaner after dinner. I've been meaning to pick up some Slip 2000. I have yet to take apart the lower, as I have never been taught how. I imagine it's just popping out the pins?

Btw, Thanks for the help and the concern.

20. Admitted

commented

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There's really no compelling reason to do more than push the push pins and seperate the upper from the lower receiver. Some brake parts cleaner can be used to hose out the trigger assembly if its nasty looking. Re-lube the surfaces there with grease. Gun or some automotive grease work for me. I wouldn't take out the trigger, hammer, etc except for replacement.

22. Admitted

And use brake cleaner on the bolt carrier group as well?

Grease, not oil? Or can you use either or?

23. Admitted

Alright, gave it a thorough cleaning and proper lubrication according to the manual. I like using the oil dropper instead of the CLP spray can. Everything is now a shade darker, but not shiny. The way it should be. I did notice my firing pin is pretty rounded. I'm thinking it might be time to replace it.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think the spray bottle of CLP is largely worthless short of giving a shot to a rag and wiping down a gun. Ymmv.

Grease is the ideal lube for the sear/trigger surfaces. I also use it on certain parts of the bcg but most people think oil is the way to go.

25. Admitted

I didn't know before reading that PDF how to judge wear signs. The bottom of my BCG is pretty shiny. The hammer has some silver showing. BCG could probably be replaced.