GUN Got some goodies from the Gun Show, and Bass Pro

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, May 22, 2006.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I went to an RK show in Springfield, MO, about two hours south of me. I went with the GF, and we had a pretty good time:naughty:. As usual most guns were overpriced for what they were. I saw some beanie babies, and beef jerky, so i knew i was at the right place. I picked up a few things:
    a 50 rnd AK mag for $25... to be used for the range. Bump fire with this much should be fun, and it was a pretty good deal.
    a 30 rnd sig 228/226 Mag for $19... also to be used only at the range. I actually got 32 rnds in there, but i don't plan on using it that much. Should be fun.
    a regular 30 rnd ak mag for $11
    3 different snap caps for about $4/each
    Reman Ballistic tip .308 20 rnds, for $13 bucks.
    Federal
    50 rnd box of Hydrashock for $22/Box. Just curious. I bought these without knowing exactly how good they are. I've heard people swear by them. Are these +p+ rated? the energy figures seem kind of low... Looking for more info about these. anyone know anything?
    1000 rnds of Silver Bear BiMetal JHP 115gr for $104... Does anyone know what the BiMetal JHP means? And also i'm looking for a little more info on these. They'll be shot through my p228, i'm just wondering if it's gonna wear the barrel.
    500 rnds of Remington UMC for $6/box. I got this from Bass Pro Shops. Along with a can of CLP for $10.

all in all it was about $300 with all the tax from everything, and overall, it was a pretty good weekend. :wiggle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh. And I haven't really posted pics of my new P228. But i picked it up about a month ago for $565 out the door. I made a thread about it, but never got around to posting pics. It's got a bit of rust on the slide, and the top part of the barrel, as shown in the pics below. Does anyone know how to get rid of the barrel rust? Would fine steel wool take that off? And there's a bit of rust on the front of the slide, and on the inside. I'm not too worried about it right now, but does anyone know if i could send it off to Sig to be re-finished in nitrolon instead of blueing? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So. What do you all think?

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

look on the side of the federal box, it'll say...if it just says 9mm Luger, then it's not +p+, it'll say it if it is. i almost picked up a box

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

nib sig with rust on it.. :rofl:

and people hate on XD's :rofl: :rofl: and with all the XD owners on WMD, we've yet to see one with rust :rofl :rofl :rofl:

use some steel wool or something, but be careful..then coat that bitch in oil :o

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hyrdrashock and getting pretty dated and theres better performing jhp's out there now, but I sure wouldn't stand in front of one. The big mag for your sig probably won't work. I believe bi-metal refers to a steel and copper mix used to jacket the round instead of pure copper. I doubt I'd worry about. Hose your rusty slide down with CLP tonight, tomorrow attack it with some 0000 steel wool and all of that will probably come right off. I'd also take off the grips, it looks like the other side of the mag release might even be rusty. Looks like a nice haul...something very nice about having thousands of rounds of ammo!

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

:bowrofl:

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

The $4 snap caps sounded a little off, until I thought about my 5 for 14 bucks.. all in all... looks like a decent score.

For the 228.. I would send it to tripp for hard chroming, two tone SIGs are sex..

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I think he bought it used.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Yeah it was used... Tell me where i can get a NIB Sig 228 for $565 and you'll be my best friend... It was i'm assuming a carry weapon for the previous owner, hence the rust and light holster wear. The barrel "smileys" show that it's been fired, mayyybe 200 times.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

The Hydra-Shok doesn't have the +p+ marking...What would you reccomend for other self defense/hunting ammo? The guy also had some Ranger +p+, which i've also heard of, but i didn't pick any up. The slide really isn't that bad. The picture's bring the rust out a lot more than it really looks. The mag release isn't rusty, it's just the flash lit it up in a weird way. I don't really expect the big mag to work that well, but hey, it was only 19 bucks. And if it does work well, then heck i guess that means it's the ultimate standby mag... or just a really fun range toy, because there's no way i'd trust my life to it. same with the rediculous ak mag. just for fun.

I've thought about getting it two toned, as you don't seem a two tone 228 everyday, but i'd just like to get something that's funcitional, like the nitrolon coating or something to prevent it from getting rusty again. Does anyone know if SIG will do this? I'd prolly get night sights put on at the same time.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well I would recommend you read this http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm to learn what makes a round stop a person and then use google and find some gelatin tests for ammo and see which ones you like the performance of best. Then buy a box of each and see which is more accurate in your gun and which you like the recoil of more. Personally I buy 147gr winchester rangers (ra9t) and think it might be the best performing 9mm jhp out today from http://www.mahsupplies.net/ although federal's 147gr HST (not to be confused with their older stuff called hydrashock) round looks pretty nice too but I'll need to see more data on it to see if I'm pleased with its penetration.

I also agree that if you want it hard chromed tripp is the man to send it to. I imagine they'd put on your night sights for you too.

12. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

where in missouri are you? i live in columbia.

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

to get the rust off. spray some breakfree CLP and use a bronze brush. Will get that shit off easily. :bowdown:

14. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

if that's a Pro-mag, might as well take it back and try to sell it

15. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'll work on gettin that rust off tonight. I'll prolly pick up some ultra fine steel wool, and rub it slowly. The mag has no name on it, and for 19 bucks i'm not expecting a lot. It feeds my snap cap just fine, and fits and locks up just fine. It will be a RANGE ONLY toy. Same thing with the big AK mag, just for fun.
    For any sort of reliable carry duty, I plan on picking up 2 15rnd MecGar mags from Cdnn, along with two 13 rnd cheaper mags, again for range only duty. If I could get rid of these factory 10 rnders i'd prolly get some more, but I doubt anyone will want to buy them.

And I live in Warrensburg. I shoot at Martha Perry Hunting Reserve Range, Golden Valley Conservation Range, and my school's indoor range during the normal school year.

16. Accord

Accord New Member

Shit man, that rusted Sig makes me want to cry. Poor little fella :wtc:.

When you bought it used, did you know it was rusted?

17. Accord

Accord New Member

There's a guy on SigForum who sells NIB MecGar Sig mags for $27+$4 shipping, rather than $29.99+$10 shipping from CDNN. I don't remember his username though, but if you search you'll find him.

Just put your factory 10 round mags up for sale in the SigForum classifieds, there's tons of Sig owners in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia and New York who would buy them.

18. Accord

Accord New Member

Speer Gold Dots FTMFW

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I knew of the barrel rust, and figured that it would be pretty easy to remove. I didn't know of the rust on most of the slide, and the inside of the slide. It's hard to see the rust unless you put it under a bright light. I had to put it under a surefire to find out that there was rust. The flash from the camera definately lightens up the rust spots, but really, it's not that bad. You can't see the rust under normal room lighting, and neither the dealer nor I knew how to take it down to look at the inside.

The MecGar "+2" mags I can get from CDNN are listed at 19.99 each in their catalog. They're 15 rnders that fit flush, and since MecGar makes SIG's Factory mags, i think reliability should be the same. I've heard that SIGs aren't too picky when it comes to reliably feeding, but range time will tell. I'm going to be getting a few other things, so shipping will lessen/item.

I've been on sigforum for quite a while, and they're who convinced me the 228 over the 229 for 9mm.

20. Furner

Furner New Member

some of your hydrashocks look deformed.

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have one of those AK mags mines suppose to hold 55 rounds though.. feeds ok as long as you dont load more then 50ish rounds

22. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Furner: How are hydrashoks deformed? They all look ok to me... Yes, I did turn the first row around only for the picture... gotta be tacti:cool:.

The SilverBear Hollow Points ARE deformed, but they're going to be used strictly at an indoor range, so it doesn't matter. For the price, i'm happy they even look that good.

Squid: i'll keep that in mind about the big ak mag.

23. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I've read 2 reviews on the hydra-shoks and they both had problems with zero-expansion and jacket seperation. I wouldn't trust em personally.

24. Furner

Furner New Member

you are right, its the silver bears that i am seeing deformed.

i used to load hydrashocks in my XD, but I switched to Gold Dots, they have MUCH better reviews, as said above, hydrashocks have some big problems with not expanding.