COMIC Got some general questions.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Stilgar1973, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I spent a couple years back in the early 90's collecting comics. I put together a fairly large collection.
    I stopped collecting the month that the last Sandman (was it issue 72?) was put out. At the time I was very, very poor and I was practicing little self control at the comic shop. I dropped more then $100 at the shop several times. I wasn't making my bills cause of it.
    I am the sort of person that either wants it all or doesn't want it at all.
    I decided that the best thing to do was to get out of it.

And it was the proper decision, for the time.

I still have that collection by the way. And I can get my hands on a scanner.... I have seen some links to something on this board that I would love to participate in. But that isn't what this thread is about.

Anyways, everytime a Marvel movie comes out I find myself jonesing to get back on the horse.
    Well, reading about this civil war thing was too much for me. Last week I spent the first $30 on comics that I have spent in a very long time.
    There will be more money spent as my finances permit.

I got several questions.

1) the first Spidey issue I read was #529. Peter keeps refering to Tony Stark as 'Boss'. At first I figured it was just a friendly gesture. I am beginning to think it is more then that. What is up with that?

2) Spidey is dead? Yeah I understand that he really isn't dead and that people think he is. What comes around goes around. Is this important or just some stupid thing going on? What is the deal with that?

3) What is the deal with the Hulk? He dissapeared? Others dissapeared? Wolverine seems to be stupid mad at the President and I get the impression that is tied into some dissapearences.

Those are my civil war questions.

A general question.
    Super Hero stuff wasn't really what I was reading way back when. I have ALWAYS had a soft spot for Spidey. And for the two years I read I picked up my fair share of spidey comics. I dare say that if Spidey wasn't one of the main guys caught up in Civil War I probably wouldn't have been as interested. Batman is the other superhero I would read (yeah I know, wrong universe).
    What I really dug was Vertigo. I was into it when Vertigo was literally brand new. Shade the Changing man, Neil Gaiman (all hail...), the OTHER Sandman series. Peter Bagg's stuff (Hate!). There were a lot of others but they are escaping me now.

Any suggestions of things out now I would like? Stuff that I need to pick up?
    Oh and I already have figured out I need to give this 'Fable' thing a read.

2. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

they conned the hulk into fixing a satellite. what it did was send him to a planet where he is currently located

spidey refers to Stark as "the boss" i think because Stark gave him a new suite. also he has been there for Peter a lot lately and Peter promised to stand by his side no matter what

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Is that what this 'Planet Hulk' reference I have been seeing is all about?

4. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

that would be the one :)

5. void

void oh yeah?

wolverine isn't mad at the president, i think you're thinking of the first issue of origins where wolvie "questions" the sectretary of defense or whatever, then the new shiva robot shows up and eliminates her before she says anything. wolve's currently hunting down the man responsible for jump starting the civil war, and his other run (origins) shows his quest to tie up loose ends on his past (since he now remembers everything from the events of The House of M). it's supposedly happened before civil war started.

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Someone says something in one of the books I just read about how Wolverine can't be trusted.
    That is what lead me to the President thing.

7. axio

axio New Member

Tony Stark gave Peter a new suit at the end of The Other and he took the Avengers under him into Stark Towers. So he is basically their boss. Spider-Man calls him boss to piss him off.
    He was killed in The Other and came back as more "pure", ie: more attached to his totem with new powers.
    Hulk was sent into space mostly because if he picked a side in the Civil War it would be over, I'm guessing that he'll be back around issue #8 of Civil War to help out Captain America because he is hyper pissed at the Illuminati.
    Fable, Deus Ex, and pretty much anything Wildstorm has put out.

8. void

void oh yeah?

and if you like the vertigo line, you'll love the current run of Fables. i'll go ahead and whore out Image's The Walking Dead, and WildStorm's Ex Machina. They're dark, funny, and excellent reads. I'm also somewhat of an Invincible whore.

the 616 univerise kinda bores me, i like the ultimate universe much better. outside of something done by fabian nicieza, peter david, bendis, brubaker, or millar...i'm probably going to stay away from it.

9. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Adding to the item 2) Spiderman is dead: Some people might be referring to his dilemma in general. He has unmasked. He has opened up his entire life to all the homicidal maniacs that have wanted to kill and ruin him. Ergo, that bastard just committed suicide. But that's an extreme rationale.

So, what comics to recommend? Well, you didn't really give us too much to go off of, but judging by your namedropping of "Sandman" you may want to give Eternals a try; it's also written by Neil Gaiman and is being drawn by John Romita Jr., if you like either of them; also, the series just started, issue 2 is due out soon.

If you're on a budget, I would limit recommendations to books that don't tie into their respective universes too much, just to save on crossover spending. For mainstream stuff, I would recommend Moon Knight for Marvel. It's brutal and gritty, and if you were ever a fan back in the day, they're doing that some royal justice.

For DC, it's pretty much whatever you fancy. They just "rebooted" again with Infinite Crisis and jumped every title One Year Later, so the stories are pretty fresh, about 5 issues in. Justice League of America is being relaunched with an issue 1 if you like them. It's probably gonna be DC's second best ongoing title in sales, next to Batman (because Kubert is drawing it; they defected from Marvel to DC just recently, their first work on DC in fact). JLA is going to be written by Brad Meltzer of Identity Crisis fame. If you haven't read that, DO IT.

I'm not big into indies...but TWD is actually pretty damn good. You'll see that acronym a lot from the crazy 3 guys who post crazy on here. It stands for "The Walking Dead." It's about Zombies. And life.

10. void

void oh yeah?

eternals #2 is already, out #3 will be out this month

11. Bobbot

Hmm...I knew that. Kinda. I'm not reading it. Yet I recommended it...

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

There ya go, that may be my cup of tea. When I have money next that will be on my hit list.

13. void

void oh yeah?

good luck getting the early back issues...a 1-5 set usually goes for $120+. I've seen a #1 go for $75 alone. :hsd:

14. Bobbot

Well, if you want some Zombie action, I believe Robert Kirkman also wrote "Marvel Zombies" which isn't too expensive for the backissues. It's a 5 issue mini that spun off of Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Wait...have I recommended the entire line of Ultimate titles? Buy them all and tell me what you think. You'll like it. Everyone does. You'll need "Marvel Zombies" to fully appreciate this most recent issue of UFF. Doom is a H A R D A S S .

15. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I'm a Robert Kirkman whore, so anything by him. TWD, Invincible, Battle Pope, etc. Love his writing. I started out on TWD, and absolutely loved it.

16. void

void oh yeah?

i got wood :hs: