LGBT Got shoved out of the closet ... it's not so bad out here :)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HappyEeyore, May 8, 2008.

1. HappyEeyore

HappyEeyore New Member

... well, accidentally pushed out by an aquaintance ...

My girlfriend and I work for the same company, but at different locations. Her ex-girlfriend is one of my subordinates. I am a manager, and we get rotated from store to store pretty regularly. Due to the ex-girlfriend working for me situation and the I'm about to get transferred situation, we decided to keep things quiet when we started dating.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

I dated a girl a few years ago for a couple years, have dated a handful of guys since then ... was never truly fulfilled, and now I'm dating a girl again. Everyone at work only knew about me dating guys. She had a crush on me for a while, and it seems that everyone else acknowledged there was a spark, but she always had a girlfriend, so I didn't think I stood a chance. She ended her 3 year relationship and shortly after that we started dating.

Like I said above, we decided to keep things quiet at work ...

So we went to NYC last month for her birthday and to check out grad schools for her ... posted some pictures of the trip on MySpace ...

... one of our mutual acquaintances comes into her store and was like "so how was your trip to NY, I saw the pictures on MySpace, looks like you had fun, blah blah blah." One of the guys that works for her overheard the conversation and was like "you went to NY w/ your GF, right?" "yeah" "so your girlfriend is M?" ... whops. Cat got out of the bag there.

Our company is quite possibly the world's largest Jr. High when it comes to how fast gossip and news gets from store to store.

Knowing that I was up for transfer, and that I could quite possibly get transferred to her store next month, I told my boss, and her boss, both of whom I'm close enough with that I didn't feel uncomfortable. I told my boss that I wanted him to hear it from me and not the rumor mill, and that since the potential was there to get transferred to her store, he needed to know ... he was totally cool with it. Asked me if I was the cause of the breakup between her and her ex. I said no, I wasn't. (he didn't want any catfights in the office) ... He asked if I was happy. I told him I was, and he smiled and told me that that was all that mattered. He asked who else knew and if it got out would I be ok ... very great reaction from him ... suprising.

Its been 2 weeks, and everyone in both of our stores know. The reactions have ranged from "I thought she didn't do girls." to "Wow, I didn't think she'd come out." It's funny to let the ones that have questions play the I'm gonna hang around and linger a bit longer than I should and hope that it comes up in conversation game.

I guess the moral of my story is that coming out wasn't that hard. I honestly don't know why I waited so long to do it. I know that it frustrated her initially because she's been out for 6-7 years ... she was patient and let me work things out in my own time. The people in my life love me anyway, so why was I worried?

My family will find out over time as I talk to them. We don't have a close relationship ... both of my parents have passed, and my sisters/brothers are significantly older than me (20-30 years) ... and there are weeks at a time that I don't talk to them ...

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

so yeah, cliff's notes : I came out. It has been pretty great so far. :cool:

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

girls have it so easy :squint:

3. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

AWESOME!!!

Congratulations... Isn't it nice in the bright light and fresh air? It's easier to breathe and so much more fun to lift your face to the sun and smile...

:hug:

4. blaq19

blaq19 New Member

Congrats

5. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

I know right?

I guess its the national preoccupation with watching two girls make out..

But then I saw two smoking blondes making out at the abbey on monday and it did zilch for me.

Which is weird, because I've been considering myself "bi", but it seems like I'm losing all my sexual attraction to girls as time goes on. Its very disorienting.

6. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

sam, you are so cheesy