SRS Got Rear-Ended...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Outspoken_Hetero, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Outspoken_Hetero

Outspoken_Hetero New Member

I'm not really a huge contributor to the asylum usually i just lurk and give the occasional piece of informative help i can here and there but now i have a problem.

Saturday night i had pulled up to an intersection that was red waiting for the light to turn green when i was rear-ended by a drunk teenager and his friends in this little Modified Acura Tuner.

My car's bumper is ruined and needs to be replaced and i snapped my head and neck rather hard from the collision and feel sore and strained now.

Fortunately A good Samaritan witnessed the entire thing and called the police for me as well as recording the other guys plate number and giving his statement (did i mention he only stayed for 5 mins and then fled the scene?)

Now here's the part where I'm conflicted, this guy is going to reamed for insurance and dui/hit and run charges anyway. Should i contact a lawyer and pursue the matter legally ?, right now I'm sore as hell and can't twist or bend my neck.
    truth be told i'm contemplating suing the guys insurance. For one this has happened too many times (third time being rear-ended in the last 6 months, all at red lights and completely the other drivers fault) and secondly it wasn't bad enough for him to be DUI he fled the damn scene, what would you do OT?

2. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

why would you pay a lawyer ? if he has insurance/money, his company should be the first one you should go through. Then your insurance company.

and if he doesn't have insurance/money, a lawyer can't squeeze water from a stone.

3. Outspoken_Hetero

Outspoken_Hetero New Member

Oh if it Helps I'm in Canada (British Columbia) and we have government owned and operated Insurance in my province (Canadian Injury Lawyers As Well only get payed if Your accident garners a settlement)

He is 100% liable for this one as is His insurance policy

4. gkremian

gkremian New Member

You need to go after it and make sure that if you have medical and legal expenses, that they are covered. Personally, that's all I think should come of it. That kid fucked up, but if he damaged your neck in the process you shouldn't be liable to cover any of the charges that are associated with it.

5. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Why would you sue his insurance company? Have they refused to pay you?

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

why feel any concern over what will happen to him in the first place? Do what you need to do. Why on earth would you willingly suffer for someone else's stupidity?

7. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

in Canada, you don't have to try to go through them first

8. mestizo

mestizo New Member

You're hurt from something that happened because of willful negligence. File a claim with your insurance and they'll go after the kid and/or his insurance company.

If your legal system is anything like ours, no one is going to have a problem awarding you damages. You can probably be a woman and make up some sob story about emotional damages if you want some extra money :squint: . If hes not covered, collecting the money is a different story.

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I don't know the specifics of the Canadian system, but here in the states that kid would be in some deep shit. He probably left the scene to avoid the DUI, but he justed turnd it into a felony by leaving the scene of an accident. Kid would be looking at jail time here in the US. I wouldn't show him any sympathy, he's a moron for drinking and driving, and an even bigger one for leaving the scene of an accident. If you have legit medical expenses, go after his ass.

10. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

I would get a lawyer, simply b/c they will be able to help you figure out what your damages are, assist in negotiating, etc. I would not settle right away - I'd & see if you have any long term health effects. A lawyer can advise you of a good timeframe. I'd be careful not to let the statute of limitations expire.

Are his parents possibly on the hook?

11. teo

teo . => ? => !

Second (third? fourth?) on getting the lawyer, to make sure you get all of what you're entitled to. He fled? Idiot. Sounds like he needs a lesson in responsibility.

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I don't advocate to sue for everything but in this case go after his ass, drunk drivers piss me off he deserves to get taken for whatever you can get. I know a few people that ended up with a nice settlement from a suit like that. Lawyer up its worth every penny in this case.

13. Pepe

Pepe New Member

get a lawyer and sue him. if he is a minor or the car is in his parents name, you can go after them (solves the problem of not getting money from a loser). best of luck, make an example out of him.