GUN Got pulled over on Saturday.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Nov 23, 2009.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Cliffs: Got pulled over, told the officer I had a firearm in the glove box, he never asked to see it, didn't get a ticket.

Was on my way home from hunting on Saturday and got pulled over for having an old plate on the front of my car. I had the new one inside the passenger door pocket and told the officer that the bolt was stuck and I haven't gotten around to changing it out (expired in October). He asked for my DL and insurance and before opening up the glovebox, I told him I had a firearm. He said ok, and I got the papers out. He asked what kind it was (Smith J-Frame), if I had a permit for concealed, and asked me to come back to the cruiser. After running the plates and DL, he said I was free to go.

*i rolled down all the windows as he was walking up to the car
    *i had my hunting rifle on the front seat (on the floor pointing up and to the rear) with a jacket covering the barrel which he saw the stock
    *he never asked to see the new plate (the old one was stacked on top) or the gun
    *you don't need a permit to conceal in your car in MO but I gave him my permit anyway

http://johnson.blogspot.ot.com

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Only you :fawk:

4. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

That site resolves to http://www.justgive.org/

Wtf

5. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

My Taurus 905 has gotten me out of a ticket. :h5:

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I got pulled over a week or so, told the cop I was carrying, he asked what and where, told him a jframe in my pocket. He goes "okay, just don't stick your hand in that pocket.". :rofl:

Still gave me the ticket though. :wtc:

7. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Why'd you even bother to tell him you had a gun? He has no need to know.

8. Depending on your area, the registration info when they run your plate before they actually get out of their car will tell them any CCW status for the registered owner of the vehicle.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

You do realize that some states have different laws than others, right?

My state's CHP law states you must inform when approached in official capacity. Only when concealed carry, not stored In the car, etc. Failure to do so can result in revocation. It's definitely not worth the risk.

10. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

That sucks

11. johnson

johnson New Member

Because it could have been in sight when I opened the glove box.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

You keep your paperwork with your gun?

13. johnson

johnson New Member

insurance card

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Wouldn't keeping it separate make more sense? That way you don't have to fuck with notifying just to retrieve paperwork...

15. Maybe that is the easiest place to store things, and the exceedingly rare percentage of trips where you get pulled over you simply notify the cop and don't act like an idiot. I don't see it as a problem, unless you're looking for problems.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I keep mine above my visor. It just, to me, makes sense to keep it somewhere very easily accessible where nothing else can be stored.

Why have to deal with a nervous and/or rookie cop dealing with a gun potentially on top of or under your gun when it's totally unnecessary.

Just my opinion, of course.

17. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I have a similar story.

I was pulled over on I-70 just before 435 by a bike cop. He was shooting radar from the end of an on ramp and I was driving in the far lane. I saw him and as soon as I saw him he was putting up the gun and hopping on the bike.

I knew it was me that he was after and I started to merge to the shoulder as soon as he flipped on the lights.

I parked the car, rolled down all windows, turned off car and put keys on dash, and placed my wrists hands open on the top of the steering wheel.

He said "I clocked you doing 78 in a 65. Do you have your license and proof of insurance?"

If I am just going between places and don't have my weapon on me, it sits on the floorboard between the two seats, under the shifter. It is normally covered by a hand towel. I often keep my wallet in the cup holder that is between the seats as well.

[​IMG]

I told the officer "Yes, sir. But before I reach for anything I would like to let you know that I have a loaded weapon in the car. It is a 9mm hand gun that is laying underneath the towel by my feet. What would you like me to do?"

He asked me wear my wallet was located and I told him that it was in the cup holder near the weapon. He said to keep my hands on the wheel and he would retrieve it.

He opened the car door and attempted to open the rear door. In the Elements, the rear handle is on the frame of the door, and the seat belt is attached to the back door. He got the back door opened and saw that the seat belt was attached. He took a step back and told me to unbuckle the seat belt.

I did and he literally crawled into the back of my car and in between the front seats to retrieve my wallet.

As he was looking, he kind of riffled through stuff that is also in the center console. I didn't particularly appreciate that but he was just trying to find my wallet. He found my reload, a Kersaw Blur, and a can of pepper spray.

He asked me "Are you preparing for something?" and I just said "Same things your prepared for."

He kind of laughed and found my wallet. He went back to his bike, riffled through some paper work and came back with my ID and insurance.

He said "Its your lucky day. Slow it down a little." I said thank you and went on my way.

Fin.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Do you agree that'd have gone a lot smoother had your stuff been more separate?

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

not to mention he wouldn't toe the line of the 4th amendment.

20. Hibidi-Shibidi

I do. And I have since adjusted where things are kept.

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Countycomm sells Velcro ID placards for ~$5. Put a strip of Velcro on your visor and it's perfect.

22. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

that officer should NOT have retrieved your wallet. he should have retrieved the weapon and put it in a secure place (top of the car / hood of his cruiser) and allowed YOU to retrieve your wallet.

unless you are detained or arrested, an officer should never retrieve your wallet for you.

on a similar note, i got pulled over one night, searched relentlessly (searched the car twice and searched me 3 times ... my own fault for submitting ot the search, learned my lesson on that one). at the end of the 1.5 hour ordeal, the officer told me i had to unload my weapon and keep the ammo separate with the unloaded and slide locked glock clearly visible on the seat (yes, i had my CCW, insurance, registration, and license). i told him i went though the courts to get my permit and was completely within my right to carry a loaded weapon, but i would wait for him to leave before i reloaded my weapon. (i was COMPLETELY cooperative the entire time ... until they asked if they could search the vehicle one more time, to which i replied 'this is a waste of your time and more importantly mine. ill just call ***** ********* with the sheriff and have him bring his drug dog down here to clear things up.' .... that is when he told me i had to unload my weapon until i was home.)

cops will push their rights ... to the very end if you dont stand up for yourself.

by 'cops' i mean 'some cops'. usually the ego-tripping assholes that think they are gods gift to the earth.

23. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Plus one.

24. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Do you agree that in a lot of these cases having a legal handgun and respecting the officer enough to be honest with him gets you out of tickets?

25. Hibidi-Shibidi

I can see where you guys are coming from about only giving the officer what he NEEDS.

Most if not all of the LEO's I have spoke with about this say they would rather know than come across it by happenstance.

I see no problem in divulging to the officer that their is a weapon in the car and where it is. It shows that I am honest, have nothing to hide, and am partial to the officers safety. I believe that they appreciate that and by asking them "what would you like me to do?", it puts them in control of the situation.

I'm not letting the officer trample any of my rights and not being hard headed about shit with them either. It seems like most of the people that have a hard time with LEO get hassled because they are assholes right off the bat.

I know that is going to incite people to go "NO I WASN'T!!! THAT COP WANTED TO BUST ME FOR ANYTHING HE COULD!!". People that come off like that are often apt to only tell the parts of the story that behooves them to do so.