MMA got owned in my first bjj tournament sat.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by uofapeter, Aug 20, 2006.

1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

went to my first tournament on saturday, (desertQuest bjj/submission grappling in phoenix) i was all nervous/psyched up for weeks before and then when i got there i had to wrestle one of the team's coaches in the first round, who of course dominated me. anyway, it was first round elimination so that was it for me. the guy went on to easily win first place.

i felt mostly just frustrated because i went to the tournament to learn what areas i was solid in, and what areas i need to work on and where i was skill level, but i didn't feel like i learned much of anything.

now im just going to train harder though come monday.

2. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

i train submission grappling not bjj, and I'm still pretty new at it, only high school wrestling background. Anyone could enter this tournament, there was no ranking system or anything like that. there was weight class divisions, and an absolute class for any weight. seperate Gi and no Gi brackets

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah no skill divisions sucks. that's how that guy got his arm broke in that video

4. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

that probably would have happened to me...
    the ref actually called the submission because he saw the arm bar, i hadn't submitted yet. which im glad for because i definitely would rather not have a broken arm.