got my "new" mustang, trying to fix all the problems

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ices, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ices

ices New Member

i guess this is a continuation of the "new to domestics, want a project car" thread. http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1637870

cliffs: was looking for a project car, and almost got a firebird, but then got a 90 lx 5.0 mustang. it runs pretty crappily, and i have some work to do with it. tranny won't catch on 1st, surging idle, and random stalling.

-----------

alright, time for an update:

i bought a compression tester (have yet to use it), and a ford code scanner from walmart. i did all the tests, KOEO and KOER and got these codes...

41C (No HO2S switching detected)
    66C (VAF/mass air flow sensor fault, below minimum voltage)
    12R (RPM at idle out of range/high
    41R (HEGO (HO2S) sensor voltage low / system lean)
    42R (HEGO (HO2S) sensor voltage high / system rich)

sooo, i'm guessing this HO2S sensor is all out of whack? what exactly is it anyways? i checked the glossary and there is no definition. it's weird though, because i get different codes (concerning the HEGO sensor) everytime. I guess i'll run codes a couple times every weekend, just to make sure i've covered all the bases. Does the scanner detect any internal engine problems?

also, i tried working on the shifting. i took off the shiftboot and knob, and all that good stuff. i found the stopbolt and screwed it all the way out, but first gear still doesn't engage. i tried rev-matching, feathering the clutch, easing it in. however, when i double clutched from second, it finally connected. i'm guessing that means the synchros are out?

how hard is swapping a transmission? i've given up on rebuilding one, since i obviously don't know enough to, and i probably don't have the necessary tools. i'm thinking about buying a "world class" T5 or a rebuilt T5, and swapping that in. however, i want a "stronger than average" transmission, just to give me some insurance and peace of mind.

i picked up a chilton's manual, and it illustrates the removal and installation of a transmission as a 24 step process. it doesn't seem to difficult, and i would have all summer just to check and recheck everystep and make sure i got it right. good or bad idea?

this weekend, i plan on doing a compression test, changing the spark plugs while they're out, and checking all the vacuum lines.

2. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I *think* this is caused by a bad O2 sensor. IIRC, if one sensor malfunctions the car stops sampling from both sensors and just uses one.

Take the MAF out of it's housing and clean it really well with spray electrical cleaner. Do NOT touch it and be very careful not to break it. It looks like a light bulb filament and is very delicate. I'm not sure what would cause the voltage to be low other than possibly being totally dirty. Corral.net might have other ideas. Is this a stock MAF or an aftermarket one?

Again, sounds like one of the O2 sensors is bad. You'll have to test or replace both. Make sure they're both getting voltage. If not, replacing won't help a bit. Expect to pay $40/ea for Bosch sensors from Napa. You'll need the special O2 removal socket to get them off because there's not much room down there to spin a wrench.

No. It only knows what the computer knows. There's no way for the computer to know if your compression is low or if you have a bearing about to spin.

Sounds like it. I still have never heard about someone messing up the synchros in first gear. Second gear, yeah. But not first. The previous owner must have been hammering this car.

Swapping transmissions isn't "hard", but it's a pain in the ass. Especially if you don't have access to a lift or a tranny jack. You need to get on stangnet or corral and make friends with guys in your area. Pulling a tranny isn't somehting you want to do alone. You're gonna need extra hands and some tools. Getting the old one out is fairly easy. Getting the new one back in can be a bitch, but the T5 is pretty light so it's not too bad.

Go for it. Hands-on is the best way to learn.

Also clean the MAF, check the voltage on the TPS, check your plug wires for cracks, check your air filter, etc. Check everything you can possibly check without spending money. It might not be a bad idea to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset itself too.

3. showstopper2

showstopper2 Guest

the shift fork inside the tranny may be bent causing the poor shifting or the clutch quadrant might be worn along with the cable being stretched causing it, buying an older Ford comes with some initial maintainance issues but once you get it fixed they are a ton of fun!

4. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

If it were the shift fork or clutch cable causing the problem, it should show up in all the gears, not just first. It could be something else, but it sure sounds like the synchros are gone.