Got my new computer put together...need some help ASAP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Mar 28, 2003.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

alright...well i'm on the new computer now so it runs fine...nice and fast

it's a px845pev pro or something like that for the motherboard w/ a p4 2.4ghz processor with 512mb ddr 2700 ram, an 80 gb 8mb cache hd etc. etc.

so after a lot of pains in the ass i finally got it running...i have some minor problems with a few of the connections and whatnot but i'll ask about those later...here is my main concern

every time the computer starts up i need to have the windows xp install cd in the drive or else it won't boot into windows

i have my hard drive set as the primary master
    there is nothing in the primary slave
    i have my dvd/cd drive set as the secondary master
    and there is no secondary slave

after it detects my ide devices, it goes to a new black screen that says "initializing MBA press ctrl+alt+b to configure

this stays on the screen for about 5 seconds (pressing ctrl+alt+b doesn't do anything) and then it shows PCI device listing and lists about 10-15 devices

then says verifying DMI pool data
    then has a line that says "Boot From CD:"

if i don't have the windows cd in the drive it just hangs there for like 30 seconds and then goes onto checking my 3com chip on the motherboard (comes w/ ethernet) and then basically says DISC IS NOT SYSTEM DISC...PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER (not that exactly, but something of the like) and i'll have to reboot because inserting the windows disc won't do anything

now if i have the windows cd in, after it says "Boot From CD:" it will say "press any key to boot from cd"...if i press a key while that stays on the screen (stays up for about 5 seconds) it will begin the windows setup

if i don't press any buttons while that is on the screen, it will just startup into windows as if everything is normal

it is a new hard drive but i am reusing my dvd/cd drive from the old computer...i noticed on both drives there is master/slave/something else (can't remember off the top of my head)

on my old computer, the dvd/cd drive was set to that something else even though it was my master drive...so when i put it in my new computer i set it to master

this is my main problem...nothing else is really too important compared to this...i want to get responses as soon as possible because i'd like to transfer all my old files from my old computer over as soon as i can but i don't want to if i might have to format again

btw, in the bios i believe the 1st boot device is the cd, 2nd is the floppy, and 3rd is the hard disc

if i set it to the hard drive first or second with the cd drive 3rd, it will get to the boot from cd: screen and hang just like explained above as if the windows cd isn't in the drive (even if it is) so i'm keeping the bios like this for now

any help would be much much much appreciated

2. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i've gone through the windows installation 3 times on this computer including deleting and creating a new partition and just plain formatting the one i have

this happens when i didn't even have an operating system on the computer

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

please help...i have tried everything i can think of

i reset bios to the defaults and that still didn't work...just keeps trying to boot from the cd

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

if the windows cd is not in the drive it won't get past the Boot From CD: thing and hangs there...the cd has to be in before that though because i can't just put it in when it says that

i took some pics, lemme get them uploaded...don't know if they'll help

basically within my bootup process it takes like 30 or so seconds to detect ide drives every time (which is kinda weird since my old computer did it almost instantly...o well, lemme get the pics up

feel free to im me on "AZMaxima"

thanks

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

anyone at all? please?

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Try un plugging your CDROM first and then boot up. I am was thinking that maybe your CDROM is overtaking your HD and not letting it boot.

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

tried everything i can think of

i reset the cmos
    tried going with just the hard drive
    just the cd drive
    tried a bunch of different bios configurations

the weird thing (don't know if this is weird actually, i've never tried it before)...when i start the computer up with just the cd drive plugged in, it loads the ide devices almost instantly...when i load it with both the cd and the hard drive plugged in, it takes at least a good 20-30 seconds

when i load it with just the hard drive plugged in (when the hard drive is in IDE1 slot...which is where i have it normally) it hangs forever on the "loading IDE devices" on the first page of the bios startup

when i load it with just the hard drive plugged into the IDE2 slot it takes the same 30 or so seconds and will go through the IDE devices (obviously 3 not there and just the hard drive there) and it will still say "initializing mba" etc. and it'll say everything upto the "boot from cd:" part...that part just doesn't show up and it hangs and then goes onto the 3com part i mentioned above

does the same thing if i try to boot from the bios with the floppy and cd drive disabled from the boot options (they are still listed under ide devices, just disabled under startup devices)

i thought it was weird that the hard drive would only load if it was plugged into ide2 on the motherboard

i can't seem to find the phone number for the company that made my motherboard anywhere...it is a px845PEV pro motherboard

so i have no idea what to do...i've asked tons of people...i'll try calling intel tech support monday to see if they can help

r00tman, windows is not where the problem is...it is defenitely within the bios because unless i have the cd in it won't even get to the part where the black xp screen with the blue progress bars comes up which is the first part of loading windows

all of this will still happen when i don't have my hard drive plugged in so it defenitely doesn't have to do with windows

:(

seriously if anyone can help i will paypal them some money