Got my first bike today

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mooredodge, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I think it's an 82, either way it's early 80's. A Kawasaki KZ250 CSR. :mamoru:

It was free from my dad, needs to be cleaned up and a new battery, might do a tune up on it too. I thought it'd be easy to learn on, and besides, it was free. I'll basically be using it in town only, so it topping out at 55 won't bother me that much until I can get something better. :o

With that out of the way, anyone have any jacket recommendations? I've read tons of info on helmets that's helped, but I haven't seen much on jackets. I'm looking for something comfortable that could pass for a normal jacket, but with the protection of a good bike jacket. Also, are gloves necessary? Any recommendations for those? Thanks in advance.

Edit -

Actually got the chance to half ass clean it up today, need to detail still, but I took a few pics anyway.

Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    Low mileage. :o
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

free + slow + first bike = ftw

3. mooredodge

:werd: That's what I was thinking.

4. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

grats man.. be safe and enjoy... and if you have to lay it down, dont be scared, just do it. everyone goes down eventually. make sure to find a safety class in your area to sign up for as well.. you ll learn a lot of good stuff that will only make you a better rider.

5. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

Truth. My first (hopefully only) experience was in Daytona. Some drunk pulled out in front of me on Atlantic Ave (covered in sand). Rubber on road covered in sand doesnt stop quite so quick.. hehe

6. silver98

silver98 New Member

i'll actually be fixing up a similar yamaha (80' dt-100) for my first bike this summer. looks sweet. :cool:

7. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Hell yeah, nice bike man! Get her fixed up and ride her until the wheels fall off. When you think you've got everything figured out is when it's easy to get cocky and end up in a ditch...so take it slow and learn what you're doing. Like someone else said, sign up for an MSF class, get a few good motorcycling books and read up. Most of all...enjoy it!!

8. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

nice bike man, be careful on it

9. mooredodge

Thanks.

I've actually put it down before, when I was still in HS. Rode it once (was going to learn then) on a road near my dad's house (out in the middle of nowhere). I was coming into a rather steep banking curve with an 8' drop off on the right into a guy's yard. A dog came out right in front of me, and I thought it was either eat pavement, hit the dog (and possibly eat pavement), or try to land in the grass. I chose the grass, and actually landed the bike, but then the back tire went into a small drainage ditch and it flipped. I wound up breaking my right wrist amongst small other injuries. I rode it back home (that hurt like hell), and my dad was so pissed I dented the bike that I never got to ride again. That was about 8 years ago. :o

I'm definitely going to be taking classes, people around here drive like idiots, and I want to be able to avoid them better.

10. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

definitely take the MSF. I was on my way home today, I ride to and from work, and this lady in an Accord almost took me out, cuz she lane changed without looking over. I honked at her, she still tried to get in, then realized i was there. I switched lanes and pulled up next to her and just stared for a bit and rolled out.

11. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

ecept for the big hangers, thats a good looking bike. enjoy

12. 7960

7960 New Member

congrats......now do two things for me (us)

1) don't give a shit what anyone else thinks
    2) go to a parking lot and practice, practice, practice......to swerves, stops, corners, etc, and (see #1) don't give a shit what anyone else might think.