A&P Got my camera into the McCartney concert v. 1 pic edited so far, nothing special

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Aug 20, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I got an email the day of the concert saying 35mm "non-professional" cameras were actually going to be allowed, so I brought the D90 with 55-200 VR...I was in one of the VIP suites, and the bitch at security was telling me that they only allowed 35mm cameras with non-removable lenses :hsugh: I argued for a second, subtly handed the camera off to a guy that was with our group and already got his wristband, and I was good to go from there :bigthumb: Except the fact that I only had 200mm of reach :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: I would've rented the 70-300 2.8 if I had been sure about getting the camera in. . .

Photos only turned out so-so, they're mostly lacking detail because I just didn't have quite enough lens. Here's one pic, heavily cropped, and I'll try to get some more (better) pics up later today or tomorrow.

[​IMG]

It needs some better PP, and even then it won't be great, but its better than nothing and at least I got to see Paul McCartney and take my own pics of the show :hsd: I have 495 images to go through, so I might get lucky and have a few decent shots :x::mamoru:

That being said, our suite's waitress was pretty quick with the drink orders and after 8 gin and tonics, some wine my girlfriend "made" me finish, and a couple other random drinks that I don't even remember ordering, the last ~100 pics were taken in a drunken stupor :hs:

2. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

I really hate that no "pro" cameras allowed. I had to sneak into Lollapalooza with my 20d a few weeks ago.

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

around here a pro camera is a camera in which the lens is longer that 2 inches. so I go in with a 50mm 1.8 and swap

4. derekOT

derekOT New Member

how do you bring another lens in with you?
    isn't it pretty difficult to put a 300/2.8 in your pocket? lol

5. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

tuck it in ur pants :naughty:

6. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

same rules here. most concerts they dont allow professional cameras.... i tried to aruge that if you looked at the pictures they are FAR from professional. other than a few laughs i had to hand my camera to a big black security guard who made me feel inferior.

time to get +skillz and get media pass worthy :o

7. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Put it in the small of your back. Never been to a college football game?

8. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Sneaking cameras in a concert can be tricky. I went to a Prince concert a while back. He took the stage, flashes went off and security went in the crowd and kicked all the offenders out of the concert. During the first song!

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

now that every phone has a camera, venues have become quite laxed with cameras, otherwise, teh band would be playing to an empty room.

Here is what I never understood - we took our kid years ago to some sesame street thing and they said nothing about cameras so most folks had them out and took pictures. Upon getting them developed, there were lines acros all teh prints, prolly an invisible laser light that teh lens can pick up but you can see (similar to you not being able to see the light comign from an IR remote but view it through a camcorder adn you can see it) so there is no issues with bringing the camera but your pictures wont be usable. So if Sesame Street can figure this out, what is wrong with everyone else?

10. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Remind me to never buy a used lens from you.

11. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

hey, u get your lense in the venue and u get to impress the ladies

12. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I actually would've liked to have maybe a 17-50mm 2.8 or even my 18-105 VR kit lens just so I could've gotten pictures of people in the suite as well (we had the perfect angle where I could get a small group shot with the massive screen and stage in the background). The suite owner casually asked if I'd get him a CD of the pics I took, so I'm going to clean up as many as I can and hope that he gets me suite tickets again in the future :x:

I also have a few 720p videos (hand held :wtc: ) that I took on the D90, but audio is pretty bad because of all the people screaming along with McCartney's singing. Plus at the end of one of the videos, I yelled "OTAP! Fuck bitches, mo' money!" into the mic. . .:rofl: I yelled it pretty loud, I actually think several people in the suite heard me :o I should probably find out which video it's on before I burn him the cd's. . .

13. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

My original plan was to sneak in the camera body and 1-2 lens seperately. . .Smaller lens would've gone in the gf's purse in a lens bag, maybe throw something like a handful of tampons on top to keep security from digging through :rofl: The body and big lens (300 2.8 was my top choice, but would've gone with any 300) were going to be medical-taped to my thighs . . .I'm 6'2" and like 155lbs, normal jeans are baggy enough that they wouldn't be able to tell :o

And if you think taping the equipment to my thighs is gross. . .you're right. It's fucking hot in OK this time of year, I don't want ball sweat getting all up on my viewfinder :rofl: So that plan called for some alcohol wipes for clean-up as well :hsugh:

14. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

At least the people who knew better than to use a flash for concert pics got to continue :mamoru: They'll get some great pics of the backs of peoples' heads who are in front of you, along with a dark stage in the background! :hsugh: And they also work well as emergency rescue beacons for concert security :ugh2:

I was pretty close at the at the Billy Joel/Elton John concert so I was able to use my gf's P&S without flash and get a few decent pics. If I'd been able to bring the D90, I would have some fan-fucking-tastic shots of that show :hs:

(By pretty close, I mean we were in the section closest to the stage in the first row that could see over the sound equipment. . .)

15. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Does anyone have some tips for processing these images? I'm having to do some heavy cropping to get images showing Paul in much detail, so I've been doing a few RAW adjustments in CS4 (mainly just exposure, brightness/contrast, clarity, and maybe some "recovery" or "fill light"), and then doing a high-pass filter set @ 2.0 on a duplicated layer and changing blend mode to hard light. If there are other, potentially better methods I'd love to learn them :bowdown:

Also, a question about getting an actual media pass to an event. . .I'm very good friends with a very good friend of that venue's primary photographer (met the guy myself a few times as well, very nice guy who is into guns, cameras, and dirtbikes just like myself :bigthumb: ). What would be the best way to approach him (or more likely, have our mutual friend bring it up) about helping him out at some shows (carrying gear is even fine with me . . .) or, optimistically, getting a press pass? Or is that just not ever going to happen? :hs:

16. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'll try to upload some of the vids on youtube, but they look like they could've been filmed by the people from Blair Witch Project.

I'd estimate that the camera starts waving around every ~15 secs or so, which is about how often I'd reach for my gin and tonic.

All I can say is thank god for the pictures and video I took, otherwise I would've missed out on the last third of the concert. And if I PS in some heavy radial blur on some of the last photos I took, it'll look just like it did in person :eek3:

17. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

Macca looks pretty cool with that suit and bass