MIL Got my assignment

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tunes, Feb 6, 2010.

1. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

C-5s to Dover :bowdown:

2. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

Damn thats kinda kick ass. Was that or C-17 first? I cant remember...

When do you ship there?

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I'm jealous.

Remember, when you apply for your job at Delta, Continental, etc. The day you get hired is the only thing that matters. Flying one of the largest planes in the world is pretty sweet.

4. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Congrats, I know how awesome it feels to finally know what you will be flying after long periods of uncertainty. The best aircraft ever created is the one you fly.

5. SamanthaRLong

SamanthaRLong New Member

Welcome to Dover.. We are under about a foot of snow right now and it's still coming!

6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Now the real hard work begins, but it's worth it.

7. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

i get my orders on the 17th so no clue until then. It was #5 on my list, but none of my top 3 came to CBM...I'm still really happy with it
    How is the base housing? Recommended places to live off base?

8. kazimer

kazimer New Member

congrats on your assignment

you OT pilots make me want to leave the IT world and learn to fly
    guess i will go the commercial route and use/waste my GI bill on pilot training :o

9. SamanthaRLong

SamanthaRLong New Member

The base housing here is honestly pretty nice, it's all brand new (a few years old now I guess) and had been privatized. The houses are mostly 2 story townhouses. Mine is a 3 bedroom 2 and half bathrooms with a 1 car garage. They do get better with rank, but CG officers get the same houses as most enlisted.
    There are a few little parks on base for kids and one dog park if you or the spouse is into that.

The housing market is pretty over priced for what you can get here, but if you are willing to put out the money to buy a house there are lots of new neighborhoods around with houses for sell all over. There aren't too many awful areas around and you'll be able to stop them pretty quickly when you see them.

If you have any other questions let me know! If I don't know I can try to find something out for ya!

10. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

i was reading about the base housing there and from what i read, they take all of your BAH and still make you pay for utilities? Any chance of getting a 2 car garage on base being an O-2?

11. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Congrats, that's awesome :bowdown:

12. tan koi

tan koi Guest

i used to see them where i grew up and my dick would get hard

13. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

Congrats tunes! Glad to see you got what you were after! :bowdown:

14. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

So B's or M's? You are going to be driving one of the biggest pieces of shit in the inventory the plane is a nightmare they need to retire 75% of them. I was a crew chief for 14 years on them. They suck balls and break all the time. When you get to Spain and Germany buy a bike and keep it near Billeting cause you will be spending alot of time there broke and its faster with a bike to get where you need to go.
    I did 10 at Dover loved the area get something off base there is no point to live on base anymore since you pay to live there and you wont have the base housing BS that goes on with living in it.
    The area is very very pro military. No sales tax in DE close to beaches DC and Philly. South of dover is more "country" than N of Dover. North of Dover is pretty much a Philly Suburb

15. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

B's and M's...hopefully all M's in the next few years....i'm ok with breaking down since the per diem is so good. :bigthumb:

16. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

At first yeah but when your anniversary is the next day and you have reservations at the Dover Downs and then #4 wont start... I have seen it tons of times. The #1 system fault of a C-5 is the Flight Engineer

17. SamanthaRLong

SamanthaRLong New Member

They don't actually take all your BAH. They take all but about 200 of it. (It depends on the size of the house, but as an 0-2 you'll get pretty close to the same house I have unless you have 3 or more kids.) They did a "study" on the average uses of utilities in a 24 month time frame and gave everyone what they claim to be the average per house. Most people say it isn't enough.. Mine isn't far off.. maybe 50 dollars off at most. I think it's worth it since I only drive a mile to work, they do all the lawn care, and it's a secure neighborhood.
    I'm actually paying less on base than I was off base for about the same size house.

Zero chance of getting a 2 car garage on base as an 0-2.. You have to make 0-6 or E-9 before you get a 2 car garage.

If a 2 car garage is a deal breaker for you, you can look into renting off base. There are some pretty nice houses close to base in the 1400 a month range.

Keller Williams and a couple other realtors do rentals as well as selling houses. You might want to contact someone who can do the leg work for you till you can get here.

Look up Keller Williams Dover DE, Burns and Ellis Realtors, and Dee and Doreen. Those 3 will give a a good start.

If you need some links let me know and I can give you some.. it just doens't allow me to post links on here.