Got my 4.11's and SFC's installed!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bad Mojo, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

I can't believe the difference the SFC's made. The car drove completely different, all the rough sections of road felt far less harsh than in before, and every little suspicious noise in the cockpit has ceased to be. Sweet.

The gears are sweet as well, they are actually quieter than the stock 3.43's, thanks in a big way to the boys at F-Body Central. They took the time to get the new gears to within 1/1000th of inch of spec. Absolutely quiet, and needless to say, the driving experience was pretty damn good. I was expecting the jump to 4.11's to take some getting used to, but I felt far more comfortable driving with 'em as opposed to the old 3.43's. Now if I can just keep myself in check until they are fully broken in :eek3:

If anyone is in the MD/VA/PA/DE area and needs a good shop, F-Body Central is the place, they definitely know their stuff.

http://www.fbodycentral.com/phpws/

2. MYSLOWLS1Z

MYSLOWLS1Z New Member

Congrats on the new goodies. Lets us know how you like the gears after they're broken in.

3. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

They told you to break in your gears? So you went from 3.42's to 4.10's, right? Or do you have a different rear end other than the 10-bolt?

4. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Went from 3.42 to 4.11's, in the stock 10-bolt (I know, time to start saving for a beefier rear). They told me no clutch dumps or hard shifts for about 500 miles. Not like I can drive it to overly aggressive anyway unless I want to risk the rear grenading on me. Damn GM 10-bolts :(

5. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Like I told you yesterday, be sure to get some miles on that thing so we can go for a "spirited" ride after the holidays.

6. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

F-body Central is choice. They can take a while to get things done sometime, but they are definatly the people to go to. :bigthumb:
    condgrads on the upgrades, wich SFCs did you go with?

7. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

I'm trying man, I'm trying :bigthumb:

8. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Thanks!
    I went with a set of Spohn Chrome Moly tubular's. Something like 13 pounds for the set, and they are 50% stronger than steel ones. Not cheap, but really no more expensive than SLP's boxed SFC's.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2003
  9. bilmind

Yeah GM 10 bolts do suck!!!
    I did about 15 miles on my 4.10's before getting on it... At the time I had Nitto Drag Radials on it, 245's, I have absolutely no whine. I have the US Gears, I run a sintered iron disk LS1 clutch in my LT1 and done tons of clutch dumps on the 275 DR's that I have now at about 20 psi... Still holding, knocking on wood!!! LOL!
    However I did grenade the pinion gear on the 3.42's, hence the reason for the upgrade! :big grin:

10. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Your one of the lucky ones :) Seems like some folks can make hundred's of passes at the track with DR's, 4.10's, and the stock 10-bolt... And other's can't.

Hopefully I'll be one of the ones that can, not looking foreword to the shop time/expense of swapping in a stronger rear yet.

That's impressive you blew the 3.42's though! What kind of power are you making :eek3:

11. bilmind

Not enough power, that's for sure! :big grin:

I actually demolished my stock torque arm two weeks ago. Bent and tore from where it mounts to the rear. Man does that make some racket hitting second gear at 4500 rpms.... LOL!

12. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

:eek3:

How did you manage to do that? Ah well, looks like a prime opportunity to upgrade ;)

13. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

The stock torque arm is weak, and has a tendency to flex alot even under a stock LS1. Global West makes a damn good replacement, as well as LG motorsports. If you decide to eventualy replace the torque arm, you might as well also go with a driveshaft loop, and tunnel brace, for the increased safety and stregth.

14. MYSLOWLS1Z

MYSLOWLS1Z New Member

If you can put up with the noise, Spohn's re-designed TA is pretty nice. It replaces the tunnel(?) brace and moves the front mounting point off of the transmission. It also features a built in safety loop.

15. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

Get the rear end warmed up and cooled off several times, that is the best and fastest way to break em in, driving around for at least 30 minutes, then parking for a few hours, and then repeating.

16. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

Bullshit, I was pushing a 220 shot on a 98 LS1 10 bolt on 10 inch ET streets launching at 4K on full bottle and the rear end lasted a whole season.

17. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

:slap:

Not bullshit - no clutch dumps or hard shifts for the first 500 miles. Just during the breakin period. Wasn't talking about forever, shit, I couldn't do that if I tried - Just the 500 miles is killing me. :)

Just to make me feel better though, since you are another lucky one with a strong stock 10-bolt - how many passes did you make that season? And you were launching at 4k already spraying? That's impressive :eek3: . I don't plan on beating on mine like that for a while, hopefully they are as strong as yours was!

18. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

That was mentioned to me by F-body Central... I gotta a few of those in (20 miles to work one way), followed by a couple of longer highway trips.

19. Prime Rib

Prime Rib Guest

You are 1 in 10 million. I have seen completely stock cars blow 10 bolts to pieces. There is absolutely no arguing that they are a joke and shouldn't have ever been put in the F-bodies....especially the LS1....

You are on borrowed time w/ a 10 bolt, especially with 4:10's because the ring gear is so small. Stay away from slicks or hard launch's. Nitto's are OK. After spending 1500 bucks rebuilding 10 bolts, I wised up and got a real rear end....

josh

20. kgkern01

kgkern01 New Member

I did the same thing on the street with a nice drop down to 1st at about 25, the BAM! about tore the whole stock TA completely off, about 1/2" was still connected at each bolt. Got a free stock torque arm from a fellow KY Fbodies board member, so no upgrade time yet.