A&P Got me Courses For next Year (photog major)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mads., Jul 28, 2006.

1. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

Semestar Course Time Professor
    1 Studio Lighting Mon 12:00 -2:50 David Scorpick
    1 Psychology Mon 3:15 -6:05 ??
    1 Intro Tuesday 3:15 -6:05 Ronald Wood
    1 Exp. Production Thursday 12-2:50 Barbara Astman
    1 History Of Phot Thursday 3:15-6:05 ??
    2 Digital Imaging Wednesday 12:00- 2:50 David Scorpick
    2 Intro Concept/proc Wednesday 3:15 -6:05 ??
    2 Colour I Thursday 8:30- 1120 John Jones
    2 Film Studies Thursday 3:15-6:05 + Tutorial @ 6:30 - 7:20
    2 Contemp Issues In Photg Friday 12:00-2:50 Vid Ingelevics​

Edit :

emestar 1

PHOT 2B01
    Photography: Light and Studio
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This course introduces students to the basics of lighting for studio and location photography. The principles of lighting, including temperature, sources and lighting styles, are also covered. Students explore issues relating to lighting through a range of studio and location exercises.

SOSC 2B03
    Social Psychology and Consumer Behaviour
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Academic Course
    The course explains how and why we buy goods and services. In other words, the course studies how individuals come to make decisions around the spending of their available resources (time, money, effort) on consumption-related items. Relatedly, it addresses why we often buy excessively (the consumer society critique). This necessarily requires us to look at what good and services mean to us such that we purchase them. That is, how do goods and services give expression to the tastes, values and affiliations of individuals and groups(i.e., self-representations)?

PHOT 2B03
    Introductory Photography: Basic
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This course offers an introduction to the technical and visual tools of photography, including camera functions, film exposure and black-and- white darkroom procedures. In class demonstrations, lectures and critiques support hands-on practice.
    meh

PHOT 2B15
    Photography: Experimental Contemporary Processes
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This studio-based course introduces students to non-traditional photographic processes. Through a series of workshops and lectures, students are exposed to contemporary methods of creating images. Students in this class are encouraged to explore their creative voice through experimental methods and materials.

VISC 2B13
    History of Photography
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Academic Course
    This slide-lecture course offers an overview of the history of photography from a social and aesthetic perspective. The role of photography as a documentary and artistic medium in the 19th and 20th centuries is explored, as well as the ways in which the mass reproduction of images has altered our perceptions of reality, subjectivity, memory and culture. Emphasis is placed on analyzing photography as a formal and conceptual language framed by cultural specificity and historical context.

Semestar 2:

PHOT 2B07
    Digital Imaging I
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    Students explore digital imaging as it relates to photographic practice. This course provides a basic overview of digital technology including Photoshop, scanning and printing. Hands-on practice is supplemented by demonstrations, lectures and presentations. Basic computer literacy is required.

PHOT 2B13
    Introductory Photography : Concept and Process
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    Students are further introduced to the technical and visual tools of photography. Emphasis is on acquiring a creative vocabulary and greater awareness of photographic and photo-based practice. Presentations, lectures and hands-on experience assist in the development of conceptual skills and working methods.
    Print Course
    PHOT 2B05
    Colour I
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This studio-based course explores the creative use of colour in contemporary photography. Students are introduced to the materials and processes of colour photography with an emphasis on learning darkroom skills. Hands-on practice is supplemented by presentations, lectures and critiques of student work. Aesthetic issues and trends are discussed.

VISC 2B08
    Film Studies: An Introduction
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Academic Course
    Cinema has been a key medium for artistic expression for over a hundred years. This course focuses on moments of radical innovation in the practices and theories of world cinema, as it developed from its birth in the 1890s to the present day. Through in-class film screenings, lectures, assigned readings and written assignments, students will develop an understanding of major directors (Muybridge, Eisenstein, Welles, Rossellini, Godard, Snow, Wong Kar-Wei) and forms (fiction, documentary, experimental), as well as a facility with key concepts of film theory.

Print Course
    PHOT 2B12
    Contemporary Issues: Art Today (PHOT)
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio/Seminar
    This studio-seminar exposes students to the theories, issues and formal strategies that inform contemporary art practices. This specific offering concentrates on photography with reference to other media. Weekly seminars explore issues and ideas through the following forums: presentation of artists' works, text analysis, lectures, discussions, and student presentations of projects and assignments.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

whoops i fucked that up

3. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

is the first number the number of units? otherwise that's a shit ton of classes

4. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

Photog major :bowdown:

5. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

1 = Sept-Jan
    2 = Feb-April

6. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

Semestar 1

PHOT 2B01
    Photography: Light and Studio
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This course introduces students to the basics of lighting for studio and location photography. The principles of lighting, including temperature, sources and lighting styles, are also covered. Students explore issues relating to lighting through a range of studio and location exercises.

SOSC 2B03
    Social Psychology and Consumer Behaviour
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Academic Course
    The course explains how and why we buy goods and services. In other words, the course studies how individuals come to make decisions around the spending of their available resources (time, money, effort) on consumption-related items. Relatedly, it addresses why we often buy excessively (the consumer society critique). This necessarily requires us to look at what good and services mean to us such that we purchase them. That is, how do goods and services give expression to the tastes, values and affiliations of individuals and groups(i.e., self-representations)?

PHOT 2B03
    Introductory Photography: Basic
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This course offers an introduction to the technical and visual tools of photography, including camera functions, film exposure and black-and- white darkroom procedures. In class demonstrations, lectures and critiques support hands-on practice.
    meh

PHOT 2B15
    Photography: Experimental Contemporary Processes
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This studio-based course introduces students to non-traditional photographic processes. Through a series of workshops and lectures, students are exposed to contemporary methods of creating images. Students in this class are encouraged to explore their creative voice through experimental methods and materials.

VISC 2B13
    History of Photography
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Academic Course
    This slide-lecture course offers an overview of the history of photography from a social and aesthetic perspective. The role of photography as a documentary and artistic medium in the 19th and 20th centuries is explored, as well as the ways in which the mass reproduction of images has altered our perceptions of reality, subjectivity, memory and culture. Emphasis is placed on analyzing photography as a formal and conceptual language framed by cultural specificity and historical context.

Semestar 2:

PHOT 2B07
    Digital Imaging I
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    Students explore digital imaging as it relates to photographic practice. This course provides a basic overview of digital technology including Photoshop, scanning and printing. Hands-on practice is supplemented by demonstrations, lectures and presentations. Basic computer literacy is required.

PHOT 2B13
    Introductory Photography : Concept and Process
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    Students are further introduced to the technical and visual tools of photography. Emphasis is on acquiring a creative vocabulary and greater awareness of photographic and photo-based practice. Presentations, lectures and hands-on experience assist in the development of conceptual skills and working methods.
    Print Course
    PHOT 2B05
    Colour I
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio
    This studio-based course explores the creative use of colour in contemporary photography. Students are introduced to the materials and processes of colour photography with an emphasis on learning darkroom skills. Hands-on practice is supplemented by presentations, lectures and critiques of student work. Aesthetic issues and trends are discussed.

VISC 2B08
    Film Studies: An Introduction
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Academic Course
    Cinema has been a key medium for artistic expression for over a hundred years. This course focuses on moments of radical innovation in the practices and theories of world cinema, as it developed from its birth in the 1890s to the present day. Through in-class film screenings, lectures, assigned readings and written assignments, students will develop an understanding of major directors (Muybridge, Eisenstein, Welles, Rossellini, Godard, Snow, Wong Kar-Wei) and forms (fiction, documentary, experimental), as well as a facility with key concepts of film theory.

Print Course
    PHOT 2B12
    Contemporary Issues: Art Today (PHOT)
    0.50 Credit(s)
    Studio/Seminar
    This studio-seminar exposes students to the theories, issues and formal strategies that inform contemporary art practices. This specific offering concentrates on photography with reference to other media. Weekly seminars explore issues and ideas through the following forums: presentation of artists' works, text analysis, lectures, discussions, and student presentations of projects and assignments.

7. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

What is your specific major? And what college are you going to?

8. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

BFA - Photography
    Ontario College of Art & Design. :hsugh:

9. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I'm jealous. I want to be a photography major but I'm afraid there will be no market for me:(

10. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

fucking emo kids flooding the market :mad:
    oh well. talent > emo kids

11. mojito

mojito New Member

hope you end up with a kickass portfolio, contacts and a business plan, cause otherwise that degree isn't worth using for toilet paper.

and this coming from the guy that went to the top school in the country for it :o

12. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

brooks?

13. mojito

mojito New Member

:bigthumb:

14. joy division

joy division New Member

I barely know a single prof. photographer who actually has a degree in photography..

15. mojito

mojito New Member

yeah, i sorta came to that conclusion, thats why I took what I learned and moved to get a business degree to go with it. besides its more important to know that side than the arts side

16. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

yeah i know :o
    im registering a company next year
    3k from government student summer business grant > *
    and probably gonna try to intern at toronto star or something

17. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

i figure ill use this art school degree pick up as much knowledge as i can. i know i can't do shit as an "artist"

18. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

:love:

19. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

So much stuff that has to do with film :hs:

20. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

nice, i start photo-courses in Sept.:)

21. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

:cool:

22. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

gotta start somewhere :)

i've done basic film before though :o

D200 Crew :o
    kimi crew :o

23. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

business degreee FTW! and thats a shit load of classes. 15 units is the most i've ever taken in a semester. evar!

24. Bzevey

Bzevey New Member

graghical design major with a photography minor FTW :noes: