GUN Got me a new piece today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Dec 7, 2007.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I had been trying to decide between a couple weapons, a Sig P226 Elite in .40, the Sig P220 Combat and the Kimber Warrior (was also thinking about a long gun too but decided to wait on that since deer season is over anyway).

Since I have multiple Sigs already, I decided on the Kimber.

[​IMG]

I had a Para some years ago that I traded for my P220, so this is my entry back into the 1911 game. I figured everyone should own one and I'll just get the Sigs a little later.

What do you guys think? Anyone else here own a Kimber. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they seem to give a lot for the money.

I get to wait a week to pick it up thanks to the state of MD, but looking forward to playing with it.

BTW, if anyone is local to the DC area, I got a hardly used P229 in .40 and night sights I'm looking to unload to help fill my need for a couple new Sigs. I dont need the small frame since I now live in a state I cant carry in.

2. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Where do you live where deer season is already over? We still have a month, month and a half down here

3. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I dont see a Warrior II on their site. Its in the Custom II family and called the Warrior. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/warrior.php

I live in MD and usually hunt PA with an uncle and firearms season is done for deer. Its only two weeks long.

4. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

5. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:rofl: Its different everywhere man.
    Ours is only 2 weeks long. The 2 weeks before Thanksgiving.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Kimber crew checking in...

[​IMG]

Series 1 goodness

7. Milky

Holy crap we get from Oct 1 to Jan 31 if you count archery/primitive weapon

8. would buy the .40 but alas I don't turn 21 until july.

9. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Here is my Kimber I bought new two years ago. It isn't the most blingy Kimber ever. I have fired three magazines through it.

[​IMG]

10. Slick26

If you count bow season, then add another 2 weeks. The 2 weeks right before rifle/shotgun season.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  11. Milky

wow sucks for you guys

12. Slick26

:sad2:

You also have to understand the scale of our hunting season though.
    It might be extremely short, but half the state is out hunting during that time. Its huge.

13. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, recently saw that and it got me thinking. I hadnt seen any of that before deciding on the gun and the guys at my local shop, who I do trust, all have current Kimbers (amongst other guns) and still insist its a real quality piece. I cant help wondering though.

It does have me thinking of changing over to a Springfield MC Operator for about the same price or simply going in whole hog and going with a Wilson CQB. The guys at the shop also like the Springfields, but also say you can find just as much negative on them on the net (though I havent seen it).

I'm starting to really consider the Wilson though and just calling it a day. Its likely to be my only 1911 I'll purchase and wonder about just buying one of the best from the start. Its about a grand more than the Kimber, but I'm reasoning into it by thinking that wanted a Sig P220 Combat, which is about a grand and if I did the Wilson I dont think I'd feel the need for the Sig since I already own a P220 as it is. I would probably get this color combo as well.

[​IMG]

Decisions decisions....

14. MTech

MTech New Member

Here it comes.... :rolleyes:

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Well, I just placed the order with Wilson Combat for a CQB with light rail. The model pictured two above. I was going to go with the OD green just like that one, but in the end decided to the do the tan which is a dark earth type color (though not exact, a bit lighter I've been told) with the black slide and all the small parts black, safeties, trigger, mag release, slide stop, and grips. So it should be pretty cool looking (at least it is in my mind - crosses fingers).

Should be about 4-6 weeks. :big grin:

16. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Same in Wisconsin. If deer season was 3 months long, pretty much every woodland creature would be extinct in this state by now.

17. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Dont do that to me. :big grin: I struggled over color, I wanted something other than plain black, I've liked the look of the tan on many guns and with just the frame being tan, I didnt think it would be too much. With a black slide, grips etc it should be ok.

But I am worried. Its a lot of dough to drop on a weapon.

Stupid MD though. My dealer needs to install some kind of internal lock on the damn thing to make it MD compliant. Here's hoping if its that easy for them to install its just as easy for me to take out. :big grin:

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, Wilson wont. Its a state thing. They actually called me back and gave me the info on it saying the dealer would have to do the install of it and that it would be an additional $20 I'd pay at the dealer. Wilson didnt even know exactly what it entailed or how it was done. They just offer trigger locks which is not good enough for the state of MD. They need something that is "part of the gun" because its much harder to forget to lock that up than it is to put your trigger lock on it. Idiots.

I'll find out more when I go talk to the dealer tomorrow or Thursday. They have a good gunsmith on hand so it should be ok, they are stocking dealers of Les Baer, STI and Wilson (they just didnt have what I wanted in) so it should be good to go. I'll find out.

19. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

My P220 is great, gunna keep it forever. I would highly recommend one.

20. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I already own one and I do love it as well. I will also keep mine forever, or at least always own at least one P220 in some configuration.

21. MTech

MTech New Member

I can't help but notice that when we had a large thread on 1911's before I posted the Nighthawk Custom as it looked very nice but people chimed in that they supposedly got bad reviews all kinda problems and are extremely expensive... yet it's on this guys list of recommended 1911s...??

:dunno:

22. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

:ugh:

No such thing as a Warrior II. All Warriors come without the Swartz safety (firing-pin-block mechanism).

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

what are you smoking? I don't see a nighthawk custom mentioned anywhere else in this thread. Maybe I'm just a little drunk and sleepy though...

24. MTech

MTech New Member

Which has a list posted at http://10-8performance.com/id8.html

25. MTech

MTech New Member

Kimbers site lists all Warrior as just that.. none of them have II after them.... granted they are listed in the Custom II section, all other pistols listed still have the II with exception to the Warrior and Desert Warrior.