A&P Got kicked off of two location shoots for my friend's Esessions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by siniquezu, Oct 8, 2009.

1. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

First time: The security guard asks if I have permission to take photos. We say no and leave.

Second time: A different location. Guard says judging by the umbrella and equipment (a flash stick with an umbrella), this doesn't look like it's for personal use.

Does this happen all the time? I know even Zach Arias got kicked off a few shot locations.

2. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Where did you go?

If you are shooting on private property, you shouldn't be surprised.

3. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

most places will make you get a permit to shoot on their property and will charge a fee

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I generally like to go to public parks, streets or some really nice homes of people I know.

5. johan

johan Active Member

location permits are a part of doing business.

6. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

nice details, scottwax

7. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Yeah it is unfortunately VERY common. I've had police officers (not rental security guards) tell me I couldn't shoot on public sidewalks without written permission from the businesses in the area. :rofl:

Sometimes it's legit and you shouldn't be where you are or shooting what you're shooting. Other times though some security guard or cop is just having a slow day and they feel like asserting their authority.

Either way, it's usually best to pack up and leave without a hassle. I've read some real horror stories though of private security guards detaining people (false arrest) and confiscating cameras (illegal seizure) when they were on public land. Those instances are just cluster fucks.

For example: http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/conten...ournalism/e3i81e87508e923955f126f1bc60385d5ad

You can google up those type of results all day long from NYC.

Here's another: http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0625091620071206

Or there was the time when I was riding with a friend across the Tappan Zee bridge and I had my camera on my lap. We got to the toll booth and the Port Authority cop saw the camera and demanded that we pull over for a search and he threatened to confiscate my camera because "photography was illegal on NYC public roads". I shit you not.

8. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I guess i'm pretty happy people in southeastern wisconsin don't exercise such faggotry against photogs

9. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

the problem was that I was on a public location (the street) but it was next to the private building. Where does the line start/end? Are we supposed to photoshop the background out? Do I need to get a permit from every fucking building in the background?

10. Jonny Chimpo

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

It's a great guideline, but it will mean exactly fuck all if you get some walking hard-on of a cop that's having a slow day. Your specific town may also have different zoning regulations regarding frontage and private property lines, meaning that it's conceivable - though unlikely - that you were on technically private property.

If you find yourself confronted by the no neck 'roid bag type then it's really best to apologize and leave unless you have one hell of a lawyer in your back pocket. The simple fact is that even though a court would likely side with your rights, getting to that point would be costly, time consuming and frustrating. Save yourself the hassle.

11. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I was doing a photo shoot today (I was actually the subject, not the photographer) and some mouth-breathing forest service ranger (equivalent. . . that was not his actual title) basically told my friend and I we couldn't walk across a "closed" bridge because there was dirt on it.

People are fucking idiots. He said it was for liability reasons. . . what. . . I'm going to hold them liable if I get dirt on my shoes?

12. Jonny Chimpo

Thanks to stupid americans using the legal system as a get rich quick scheme every business and government agency is over-cautious about possible litigation.

Heaven forbid you slip on the dirt. You might get a nasty skinned knee that would result in a $347,000,000 lawsuit. :hs:

13. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

^^^ this. I've been asked for permits in England and the US. Sometimes I have them, other times I don't. Leave with a smile and an apology and you'll be much better off than causing a scene, especially when you have clients with you.

14. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

do you go in telling clients that there may be a chance we could be kicked out so have another location in mind?

15. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I try to explain that when we go out for a shoot... my last engagement session in St. Louis we were down in the train tunnel and got tossed out...

on an unrelated story, my cousin and I were out one night taking photo's of this abandoned ice house in town, on private property that's not gated... there's an "alley" that runs to the ice house, then to a couple of warehouses, but it's technically not public land. Anyway, someone thought we looked suspicious, so they called the cops. Cops came out and asked what we were doing. We were really calm and just explained the process of light painting and showed them a couple of shots. They were really cool about it. Told us just not to try and get inside and radioed to dispatch telling them to ignore any other calls they might get about us :cool:

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

damn these stories suck.

DC is pretty liberal with photo shoots. I was kicked off the lincoln memorial once with my tripod. the guy was really nice. he said i needed a permit to shoot on the memorials.

so i walked down the steps to the street and continued shooting. you see tripods and shit all over DC with models all the time. they don't care

17. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

^yeah, i was told I couldn't use my tripod in DC last weekend either. seems like a worthless rule.

18. mojito

mojito New Member

It's a catch 22

if you don't have permits and get stopped you look like an amatuer to the model/clients

if you get the permits, you'll have to considerably raise rates. A 90 minute session on Newport beach will cost you $350. And even ifyou have one, that doesn't meansomeone without one won't be there in your way

19. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I've barely even heard of anyone ever being hassled while shooting

Canada :bowdown:

20. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No, I don't tell them but I always have a backup location in mind.

21. El Molinon

El Molinon sup OT Supporter

100% BULLSHIT.

what city are you in?

22. El Molinon

El Molinon sup OT Supporter

well thats a different story. the ranger is in their right to stop you from doing that. will always be the case unless tort reform gets passed.

23. mojito

mojito New Member

Actally no it isn't bs, but that person doessn't have the authority to protect the architests ip rights

24. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

never heard of that in Canada

25. Jonny Chimpo

And you won't. See, these stories are from the land of the free and home of the brave where free speech is a constitutionally protected....aww...fuck it.