A&P got harrassed by the police... could use a little advice...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Apr 24, 2007.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

So my current photography topic is 'trains'. This topic is supposed to net me 12 finished prints and 720 negatives by the time the class is through.

Today I thought i'd shoot my local train station, as I get on and off of there every day.

Within minutes I was approached by 3 Port Authority Police who inform me that it is not legal to shoot mass transit locations without permission.

I explained who I was, gave them my student ID and drivers license, explained my project, and since I only got 3 shitty test shots, even offered to erase the pics. (I see the one cop 2-3 times a week, so i'm sure he'll recognize me from here out...)

They were very nice and polite and all that, and let me know that the rules are the same for all stations in and around the Philadelphia...

I'm a little pissed, and a little demoralized.

Besides the obvious frustration from having been confronted by law enforcement, I'm now not sure what to do about my photo project...

Anyone have any ideas on what you could shoot for 9 straight weeks?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

3. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Write your local representative, and the dean/district administrator for school.

Don't sit there and take it in the ass because the port authority is being a party pooper.

4. Blair

Blair New Member

why dont you just talk to your professor? if someone assigned this project then in my book they have a certain responsibility to their students to make the project is both legal and doable.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

blair - I can change the subject myself. I have been shooting for 3 weeks already with no problems.

What I don't want is to become a repeat offender to the same small group of officers.

What i'm unsure of, is if I really do need permission, and how I present my rights to the cops without being a dick.

Furthermore, Is there a document or something I can carry with me that I can use to diffuse the situation immediately?

I'm also curious to see if you guys consider it worth fighting for, or if I should just change subjects and move on...

New subject ideas would be appreciated!

6. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

There is no good reason on Earth a person cannot photograph a public location. They are not going to be getting anything that a terrorist cannot get off of Google Earth.

7. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Go down to the next station and shoot there?

8. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

these cops all patrol the same route, usually by riding the trains or driving around the stations.

He has my name and information, so i'm sure if I get approached again, i'll be on their radar...

Oh, and tonight is nighttime photography night...

I'm gonna be photographing the bridges... Now i'm scared! :noes:

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Oh, and if you guys haven't heard -

Card Recovery FTMFW!!!!

I'm recovering the pics I took now....

So, worst case scenerio - delete the pics, but then switch to a new card so you don't overwrite the shots on the card.

Then go home and recover em... :bigthumb:

11. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Fight for your right to photograph there. As I said there is no godd reason why you cannot.

Just make sure to take the right steps, don't start by telling the cops to piss off..lol.

Contact the dean of the school or student rep whatever, and work your way UP if nothing happens.

Then, Mayor, Representative, etc. Make noise.

It's a public place, in open view. NO reason you can't take pics. It's not as if it is a military installation.

12. skolen

skolen Guest

Take your shots directly on the open track away from the stations. That when when you get popped by a train they'll make a memorial in your name (probably rename the station) and change the law.

It's a lot to ask of you, but the world needs more pioneers.

13. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Transit cops seem to have their own jurisdiction if you even pull out a camera in a setpa station they're on you telling you to put it away.

BTW I didnt know you were from philly :eek3: septa cops are a joke :mamoru: and port authority cops think they are god

Google Earth can give you views inside a train station? :hsugh:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

the pictures could help you plan a hijack of a train and fly it into a building :hsughno:

15. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

16. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

"property owners may legally prohibit photography on their premises but have no right to prohibit others from photographing their property from other locations"

Septa is not a public property its privately owned so I'm pretty sure they can enforce the rule no picture taking if they consider it a matter of homeland security. That PDF is open to a lot of interpretation and who really wants to argue with a cop chances are you wont win that battle :hs: I'm not saying I agree with them you should be able to take pictures of whatever you want.

17. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

It may be privatly owned but its open to the public.