A&P Got fucked over on ebay, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by planb, Jun 5, 2008.

1. planb

planb itches in my teeth

I bought these two lenses off ebay and received the item today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200226214537

I usually don't like buying camera gear off ebay unless its from a seller i've read good things about from other people, but I figured since this guy had 400+ positive feedbacks and no negatives, I would be fine. Wrong.

So I open up the box, inspect the glass, everything looks clean and in good condition. The problem comes when I check the aperture. The 180mm lens has sticky/gunky blades; it will stop down from 2.8-4-5.6 SOMETIMES and then just seize up as I keep trying to stop it down. I've gotten it to stop down completely by turning the aperture ring really fast, but it rarely works. Now it seems as if its not stopping down at all. The aperture ring on the 50mm lens doesn't even click when I turn it, and doesn't stop down at all.

In his description he says that the lenses are "mechanically fine." :nono: The thing that worries me is that he also says "Items sold as is, all sales final" :noes:. I just sent him an email stating the problems and asked for a refund. I tried not to be too much of a dick since it was the first email, but I was still firm about taking any means necessary to get a refund...

Anyone have any advice? Has anyone else been in the same boat as me? I am not sure how strict ebay is when it comes to items not being described properly, but he basically flat out lied in his description. Am I screwed? :noes:

Anyone know how much a CLA runs for lenses? :o

2. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

make a claim with ebay and paypal if you can. Even though he said its sold as is doesnt matter because he stated that the lens is mechanically fine. Wait for his response and let us know what he says.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

yeah if he said it was mechanically fine than you should be fine.

4. planb

planb itches in my teeth

Just got a response. Thank god it seems like he is legit and not going to screw me over :bowdown:

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]

This was one of the best, most padded packages ive ever received. I really doubt it was the shipping that caused this problem. From what i've read, this kind of problem with lenses is due to built up gunk on the aperture blades, but i'm no expert.

It also has nothing to do with mounting issues, so I dont know what he is talking about there. I did try to mount it and use the aperture preview button, but it still did nothing.

You guys think this kind of damage could have been caused by shipping? They were seriously padded and well packed in there...
    [/FONT]

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

yes if by ups. seriously they drop and throw the stuff around. ive had shippping damage happen with very very well packaged stuff
    if you want a CLA try DAG
    http://www.dagcamera.com/

6. alexromo

alexromo New Member

claim:

reason: item not as described

7. alexromo

alexromo New Member

you can always get the lens rebuilt?

8. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

why would he want to spend more money if the description said it was in working order

9. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

its time for planb

10. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Late to the party, but that's what I came here to post. :mamoru:

11. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:werd:

It kind of sounds like he knew they were defective, but he's blaming it on shipping. Anyhow, if he insured the lenses, I assume all is well.

12. planb

planb itches in my teeth

Well I emailed him back and told him that filing a shipping claim with UPS would lead no where, as the box is in perfect condition and it was packed so tightly. But who knows, they are pretty god damn old lenses (made in east germany :hsugh: ). I told him I was going to open a paypal dispute and escalate it to a claim. He then responded with this:

Since I have up to 45 days after my transaction to open a dispute, and then another 20 days after that to file a claim, I told him that I would work with him and try to make the best case I could to the UPS guy so he can get his money back. He sounds like a pretty stand up guy, and after all he has been a member since 2000 and has over 400 positive feedbacks and 0 negative. I really dont want to fuck over one of the GOOD sellers if it really wasnt his fault. Hopefully I'll be contacted by UPS asap so I can get this damn thing over with.
    [/FONT]

13. dano

dano OT Supporter

Sounds like the guy is trying to make peace the best he can, I'd work with him on it. Good luck.

14. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

deceptikon?