SRS Got Arrested Saturday NIght *Advice Requested*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jaccordan, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

I dont feel likegetting into the whole story but ill give cliffs of the night

My buddy turned 21 and decided to rent out a popular night club. Basically it cost $30 a person and it included a bus to anf from the club, all you can drink top shelf premium liquor and beer aswell as an all you can eat buffet.

Needless to say we took it to the limit and got hammered.

So the time comes to leave ad my buddies tell me that th ebus is outfront and were leaveing.

So as im trying to get out of this crouded club, getting pushed etc. I breathe a full cloud of cigarette smoke :barf: and my stomach gets sick.

I go outside and go over and throw up real quick before i got on the long bus ride home. Needless to say a cop sees me and imidiatly tells me im under arrest :wtf:

So in that 45 second span from walking out the club onto our bus i get arrested :sad2:

My buddy tries to say something to the cop along the lines of leave him alone or hes sick or some shit and they take him to the ground and place him under arrest.

We spend the night in jail :sad2: and are issued non traffic violations charged with "public Drunkeness" with now fine on it. :wtf:

It was pretty messed up how the whole situation went down. i cooperated 1000% and did anything they wished.

My one buddy got it all on film because he was taking video all night. But when the cops saw him the used the Tazer gun and fried his camera :wtf:

kinda with the intentions of getting rid of the evidence :sad2:

they said the arrested my friend because he pushed the cop :ugh: which everyone there clearly saw did not happen.

Anyways, how fucked are we???

2. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

i hate cops.

3. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

I felt i was treated unfairly.

When they put you in "the drunk tank" your supposed to get out at 6:30 Am

they held us til 9:30 and didnt allow us any phone call the whole time. Thats 9 hours where your loved ones were wondering what the fuck happened to you.

I wasnt read my rights, they didnt have me do any sobriety tests and i didnt get a phone call in jail.

What the hell is that all about :confused:

4. johan

johan Active Member

Explain it all the the judge.

That's what they're there for. Cops don't keep cops in check, that's what the judicial system is for. Sucks to have to go through the system, but that's how it works.

Have your story straight, be respectful, and most importantly, DONT LIE. Your typical judge has a bullshit sensor about a 1000X better than the most suspicious girlfriend. He literally has seen it all and heard it all before.

You should do ok out of this one.

That's if this goes before a judge (if there's going to be a record involved).
    The cops will probably just want to quietly release you and hope you go away. This way, they harrass you -- albeit at a low level -- and they get away with it because it's too small to bring forward. Talk to a lawyer if you're still unhappy with your treatment.

But, on another level, this is simply the way cops behave in cities all over America. Don't like it? Join the ACLU. Do something. Otherwise, this is the way things will continue to be.

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

That sucks man. I'd talk to the Public Defender, and tell him your story to see if you possibly have a case with him, or if you get a lawyer.

Sometimes cops lie, and they back each other up. You can register complaints against their behavior, and if there are several other complaints by people against the same cops, it's possible they might get in trouble, but I doubt it. You'd need witnesses, and I don't know if you can remember who was there at the time, and track them down.

Besides that, it wouldn't help your case much. If you were drunk enough to puke on the street off breathing in second-hand smoke, I'd say you were intoxicated in public. Doing something like puking on the street or yelling at a cop is enough to draw attention to yourself. If you draw attention to yourself, are 'disturbing the peace,' or are a danger to yourself while drunk in a public place, that's "Public Intoxication." I'd say you're fucked, just deal with it, I'm assuming the only punishment is a fine. Tough luck, but next time don't get drunk enough to puke in the street.

Depending on your buddy's conduct towards the police AFTER he was arrested, he may have something of a case, but I doubt it. It's likely he was pretty drunk too, as you specified "we took it to the limit and got hammered."

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

That's pretty much standard policy. When I was arrested, I was riding on top of a car and jumped off to be tackled to the ground from behind. In most states, public intoxication doesn't require a breathlyzer, blood test or anything, it's simply the cops discretion. I wasn't read my rights, or given a phone call either, I had to use the pay phone in the front AFTER I was released. It sucks, but that's the way it is, how you were treated is really not uncommon at all. We didn't get out till like 11AM, feel lucky you got out at 9:30.

7. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

Thanks.

I just felt it was unfair because our bus was right there and we all paid for a bus to avoid driving.

Instead of sitting in their cop cars outside the club, they could have been sitting at the parking lot a block down the street watching the other 400 people at the club getting in their cars and driving under tthe influence.

i didint exagerate my story one bit. thats truthfully what went down. It was a mere 45 seconds from when i walked outside, threw up real quick to avoid getting on the bus and throwing up on there if by chance that happened.

I was under teh impression that i was to be read my rights, given a sobriety test, and a phone call for being held for 9 hours.

Plus being handcufed in the front of a popular club wasnt to great :sad2:

8. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

i completely understand what your saying.

I have a weak stomach and dont tolerate cigarette smoke that well wether its 1 beer or 15 beers.

The cops were staking the place out. :sad2:

9. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Before you forget the details, jot down the events, especially the fact that you were NOT read any rights and were not allowed a phone call. Also check and make sure that 6:30a is really the legal limit of how long you can be held in the "drunk tank" before you press that issue.

As for an attorney being willing to represent something like this, I could go 50/50, but at the least he/she should be able to give you some direction on how to pursue or fight this.

10. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

:werd: making this thread is definatly holding memory.

My friends were calling the station all night trying to get us out and the police told them they could pick us up on teh street at the station at 6:30 am. Thats why i figured 6:30 was let out time.

I work in a legal department in corporate for a fortuen 500 company. Some of my close coleages are in house lawyers that i plan to go to for advice.

Hopefully things turn out well.

11. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Sounds like you are already set in that dept :big grin: It pays to know people.

12. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

If it went down as you say and the police used a taser to wipe the video (something I had no idea was possible) then you might be able to put additional unwanted pressure on the PD to drop their charges by speaking with a local news outlet about this.

Most PD's don't want to see their department in the middle of a media circus, and that's what would likely ensue.

13. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

Id just like everything dropped :sad2:

im gonna do my best to have it that way to

14. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

They fried the camera? That's not gonna look good for them.

15. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

ive been there. many a times when i have been pulled over or have had incidents with the police, i have had my video camera on me. i have never had them destroy it or something like the such. lawyer is best bet, specially if u know for a fact that u were not read your rights. public defender might work as well if u want to save money. either way, fight this. you urself might not befucked for a public drunkeness, but if they have ur buddy on agravated assualt on an officer, he might be.

i spent a night in the drunk tank, and it jsut cost me a 220 dollar fine.

edit: also, you need to find credible witness, ie: bouncers at the club, ect. people who would see things like this. your friends with you will not be credible witness. go talk to those bouncers, and see if they have an outside security camera.

16. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Just tell the judge, if you dont have a record of this thing they will be pretty understanding. Just say you were getting on the bus, felt sick and didnt want to hurl on the bus so you did it on the street and you were cuffed.

It's no sense tell them anything of the camera, they dont listen. I have had two police reports written about me and both had little details added to make everything seem worse. Try to tell a judge that the cop fluffed the story, you wont even get a second glance.

You'll be find, it's more of a headache waiting to go to court than anything. More than likely they give you a few months of probation where if you dont get into trouble the incident will never go on your record. No big deal. I still have 5 months to go myself to get out of about 6 criminal driving charges and a ton of points that could cost me another 2,000.00 a year in insurance rates.

17. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

thanks for the tip man.

18. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

definately file a complaint as soon as possible then tell the judge and get a lawyer so they know you are serious. It isnt a serious crime and u wont do jail time or anything but the cops should be dealt with.

19. Vay

Vay New Member

Wait I thought the cops have to read you your rights or they can get in trouble for it? Anyways sounds like the cop was a jack ass, and I would talk to your in house lawyers.

20. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You have a good case, if you tell your lawyer the cop made mistakes and violated several rules of freedom, then you can do him in and sue the state for 2 million.

-using unecessary violence.
    -no reason for apprehencion was given.
    -your rights were not told.
    -no degree of violence was reported, only the cop made mistakes by mutilating a sick innocent club member.
    -Right of freedom to film where violated , a tazer was used to destroy the evidence material.

Really you have a strong case here if you pose yourself as a victim who wants justice against un-understandable police behaviour. Tell him that by standers had seen the police officers plotting an apprehencion against innocent people passing by because of boredom.

21. Loopy

Loopy What do you think happens when you get too far fro

And the whole situation could have been avoided if you and your friends weren't drunken degenerates.

22. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

:ugh: Eat shit man. Just because you have no life and are all couped up on OT all day, doesnt mean other people dont leave their house :down:

We were out enjoying a friends birthday with all you can drink.

Eat shit and die you piiece of shit

23. tribeachpunk

tribeachpunk vBookie | TML | NHL Crew

Explain your stoey to a judge... If you and your friend were seriously onlu several feet from your pre-arranged drive home, then the cop had no reason to pick you up.

24. Jaccordan

Jaccordan Guest

:werd: im tellinyou man. It was a fucked up situation.

25. Drunk in public in California is ok--as long as you're not being violent. Check your state laws.