GUN Got any surplus rifles with a dark bore?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Dec 3, 2009.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Try using this stuff I recently got, Butchs bore shine I think its called. I also used this Big 45 cleaner that looks like a steel scour pad

http://www.butchsboreshine.com/bore-shine.php

http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/

I shot a couple rounds through each of my mosins and forgot to clean 2 of them. They had very dark bores after I realized I never cleaned them. Spent about 15 minutes with each after ordering this stuff and theyre cleaner now than when I first cleaned them with remington bore brite after getting them
    I took a whiff of that Butch;s and it about knocked me on my ass

I think Im going to get some Kroil and go through all my surplus rifles with that. Was talking to a guy at work about it a few days ago and he says he runs a wet patch down a barrel and runs a dry patch down the next day and it removes copper

2. BigBadJohn

Oh, I also have started running a patch down the barrel soaked with remoil after cleaning a rifle that Ive shot corrosive ammo through
    I shot my nice 91/30 and cleaned it afterwards with bore brite and a couple months later the barrel had gotten dark on its own

3. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Kroil is what I usually use for bad stuff. Works like a charm.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Hrm I've got some Kroil around here and I've got a Krag with a dark bore, I think I'll give it a shot.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

don't forget that pb blaster is also a penetrating oil and you might already have a can of that laying around.

Personally I view some of my milsurp as mistreated/neglected guns. I don't need to break out the big cleaning guns on them because I'm not a russian peasant and will maintain the bore once its clean. I did a home made electric cleaner with a length of steel rod, some batteries taped together, and some vinegar/ammonia. Worked great and I'll do it to every nasty bore gun I get in the future.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

details/instructions on homemade bore cleaner.

7. BigBadJohn

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

not really much to know. You can go fancy or ghetto. I don't do it much so I stay ghetto. Go to the hardware store and get a steel rod that will fit down your bore, at least the length of it. Pick up a cork stopped to plug the chamber with too. I wrapped the chamber end of the rod with a few wraps of electrical tape to be sure it didn't touch the bore and dropped it in. do the same at the crown once you see how far down it will be inserted.

now fill the bore with 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar, 1 part ammonia. it won't take much, a cup total will probably be enough.

tape 2-3 3 or d cell batteries together end to end, run a wire from the negative end to the steel rod, and a wire from the positive end to the front sight, trigger guard, or some other part of the barrel. use an alligator clip if you want to get fancy, i just smoosh the wire under the rear sight leaf or something like that.

in about 30 seconds you'll see the solution start to bubble. let it go for 30 minutes and then pull the rod and wipe all the crap you've "plated" onto it off. do it again if if the bore still looks nasty. run a few patches of oil down the bore when you're done.

there's lots of tutorials out there on making an electic bore cleaner, you can make it as complicated as you want but i dont see any reason to. a couple batteries, a steel rod, some wire, and a roll of electrical tape will get the job done just fine

9. BigBadJohn

all of which can be scrounged up from work. Excellent

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter