WEB Got an old website up, still has traffic, can I make any $$$ from it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kingfaz, Jan 24, 2009.

1. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

Hi guys,

I've got an old website up www.segasource.com www.dreamcastsource.co.uk (same location) which has been online since 2001 and is still active and getting around 350 hits a week according to http://extremetracking.com/open;sum?login=dcsindex

At the moment I make zero, nothing from this.. any adverts on there are waaay out of date.

What possibilities do I have to generate some revenue? Bearing in mind the website does not get updated anymore. I can add extra code for ads etc, but no new content.

Thanks,

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

why can't you add new content? You could still review sega published games and such.

And sure, if you are getting targeted traffic there's no reason you can't make money off it. Something as basic as adsense would do ok if you added it to the top of the post. and pages.

Another easy way to make money off it is to sign up for amazon associates (affilaite) and just put links to each of the games that are reviewed/posted about. If they are looking for reviews for the games they would probably be open to checking out amazon and if you get them there you get credit for whatever they buy. Awesome during xmas time ;)

3. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I've got a site I haven't updated in years that I still get adsense money from. :dunno:

4. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

Thanks for responses guys,

Adsense - I'll look into this... although am I correct in assuming it will only pay for people who click onto the links / generate a lead, opposed to no. of views?

The links to amazon would sound good, however the dreamcast is a dated console and I doubt anyone would buy new games (or even a merchant sell them) anymore, so don't think that would work.

I could add content, but it's become more of a historic website now.. plus I don't have time or the interest in it anymore (new projects).

5. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Adsense - yes it is CPC meaning you get paid per click. Don't get paid if no one clicks ads.

CPM, which is what you are talking about with "views" does pay just for them viewing the pages. But you don't get enough traffic to make it worthwhile and probably wouldn't be accepted for the site anyway.

Amazon...you could link to new games, or add a widget to the sidebar or something that would automatically display current games. Odds are they may be interested. But regardless what you link to on amazon (with your affiliate link) you get paid no matter what they buy.

Do you know what specific pages are getting the most traffic? That would be a good place to start to see what would fit best.