Got an old, small drive with no purpose? [speed tip]

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by knightm3, Feb 12, 2003.

1. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Use it for just your pagefile :bigthumb:

edit: And for that matter, Photoshop scratch disks, browser caches, etc.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

No, but it would slow it down because smaller drives are ATA33/66. I tried that before when I had a 5 and 30 gig drive - figured I'd use a system drive and a program drive. It was faster to have everything on the 30.

Now if there's not access/speed advantages, then this tip will work.

3. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

On the contrary, since your hard drive has only one arm, it can only really do one thing at a time [without getting into accessing multiple platters at once]. By putting your pagefile on another drive, even if it's slower than your main drive, you're overcoming a mechanical disadvantage because the system can access two devices at once and overlap commands, as opposed to waiting for a single device to finish its current operation.

4. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

It sounds like you're talking about a configuration where your installation of Windows is on one drive, while all of your programs and data are on another. I'm talking about just having your pagefile on a separate drive. The greatest advantage I've found so far is that your pagefile NEVER gets fragmented.

5. Black Light

Black Light Guest

So how would I do that without having to repartition my hard drives? :confused:

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Or have 512MB of ram so you never have to dig into swap space.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I did it both ways actually (one at home, the other at work). It does work as long as they're not crappy drives. A new small drive would work wonders, but the old crappy drives are just pigs (I'm refering to our Pentium1 computer's old HD's ;))

8. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Even with a gig of RAM, Windows will still bitch if the pagefile is completely disabled.

9. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

LOL. Yeah, I wouldn't use an ANCIENT drive, but the one I'm using, a Quantum Bigfoot [yes, that's a 5 1/4" drive!] 4 GB out of a 233MHz Pentium system that was shipped with Windows 95 Lord knows when, is still giving me a nice boost.

10. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Re: Re: Got an old, small drive with no purpose? [speed tip]

In Windows 2000, go to your System control panel, then the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and set your pagefile to "0" on your root drive, then set it to whatever you want [I go with Windows' suggestion] on the spare drive. Make sure you make the Min and Max the same value. Reboot.

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Windows? :ugh:

12. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

13. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yeah i know. i would rather take my SWAP file :big grin:

14. Accido

Accido New Member

I’m not familiar with pagefile; all I know how to do is change the setting and it’s hard drive space used as memory. :p but everyone is always contributing it to various problems like freeze ups. But it raises interesting questions for me. For one, is it possible to allocate system memory for my video card so I can double the texture bandwidth? No seriously. :-\

15. Accido

Accido New Member

For some reason it always says I have 1000mb allocated no matter what I change the value to. I can even turn it off and it still says this.

16. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Allocating more will not increase your texture bandwidth, since bandwidth (AGP bandwidth) is limited by your AGP slot/video card usage, not size allocation in memory.