Got a video card, shit still sucks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ls1norcal, Apr 12, 2007.

1. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Okay, so I got this card....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195030

I installed the drivers, and then I go to play some HD video, and it still starts off jittery as fuck, and then smooths out. But if I try to seek through the video, all goes to hell again, and it takes about 5 seconds for everything to catch up.

Do I have a bottleneck somewhere? Is it because im using IDE HDD's instead of SATA? Non-dual core processor? WTF is going on? Here are my specs...

3200+ Sempron (1.6GHZ)
    ASUS Mobo
    2GB Corsair 667 DDR2 RAM
    (2) 250 GB HDD's

2. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

your cpu is very shitty. its the problem.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Your CPU is the glaring bottleneck, not your HD interface.

4. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Thanks for the input.

Also, would a PSU be a bottleneck? Its pretty weak. 250 watts.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

The PSU won't effect video playback (Power Supply Unit).

Also, you'd get glaring side-effects from underpowering, such as random system reboots.

Underpower can kill components. It'd be a very good insurance play to step that PSU up to 350W 'ish.

Give us a make/model on that motherboard and we can add up your power requirements (can get pretty accurate with all the info), then see if we can step up that processor without (or with) a PSU replacement.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

Someone explain this to me as well: What task is the processor performing to do video playback? I thought decoding was done on the video card.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nonsense. I've got an Athlon XP 3000 (2.16GHz) system that shows HD video perfectly.

It could be an issue with your older IDE hard drives, certainly switching to SATA-2 would bring a nice boost in performance, but I'd check to make sure your CPU usage isn't spiking when you play video, and that your virtual memory file isn't fragmented all over your hard drive. If either one of these is the case, then there are other problems with your system that need to be resolved.

EDIT: Oh, and in any event, download/install DriverCleaner Pro and wipe out all ATI/NVidia drivers on your computer, then reboot and reinstall the latest drivers for your new card. It doesn't seem like it should matter, since the drivers for your old card should just be left to sit on your hard disk, but I myself had this very same problem where my new video card was running like shit because I had new drivers stacked on top of old drivers.

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Poor guy. All this conflicting advice.
    Okay.
    The video card SHOULD be doing the decoding and proccessing, but isn't necessarily doing it. Look for a check box somewhere that says something along the lines of 'Have video card decode DVD playback' (or something like that).
    I truly don't know where it is located. It might be located within the video playback software you are using. Look deep within its options. If you don't find it there then look for it under 'display properties' (you know, where you set up the AA or the desktop resolution) and if you still don't find it look under control panel.

That is all. I am not suggesting you buy a new CPU or a PSU or even HIV. I am just saying look for that check box, check it, hit 'OK' then 'Apply' and give it a shot.

If that doesn't work then give me your PC and buy a new 4 Core Intel DELL.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Stilgar, I believe the term your looking for is "hardware-accelerated MPEG decoding". More or less every video card since 1999 supports it without even being asked to.

10. o2

He's got a 1.6ghz Sempron. You have a 2.16ghz Athlon XP. 2 VERY different CPUs.

11. o2

If you wanna play 1080p HD, you need a core2 duo to play it at a normal frame rate.

720p can be played with a pentium4, Im not sure about AMD. Its a POS CPU anyway.

12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

You're typically a smart guy. You have a lot of knowledge, but it usually gets pretty garbled in with a lot of bullshit. It takes a lot of CPU power play HD content.

Example software:
    http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/require_112_ENU.html
    • AMD (Minimum):
    • Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz or 4000+ 2.0 GHz, Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6 GHz, TL-52 1.6 GHz or TL-56 1.8 GHz
      AMD (Recommended):
    • Athlon 64 FX FX-60 2.6 GHz or FX-62 2.8 GHz, Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz, 4400+ 2.2 GHz, 4600+ 2.4 GHz, 4800+ 2.4 GHz or 5000+ 2.6 GHz, Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0 GHz
    This is why his movies play choppy. The biggest bottleneck is his CPU, not his harddrive. Your downloaded HD content or whatever it is you claim to have is likely not running true HD content. His Sempron doesn't have the the power or bandwith to properly accomodate. His processor isn't nearly strong enough to play true HD content.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

what form is the hd video in?

as a comparison, my pc is an amd athlon 64 3000+, 1gb ram, sata150 drive, ati all in wonder 9600 128mb. i have a 720p .mkv that is running choppy and scanning is difficult. i'm using vlc

my c2d 2ghz macbook with 1gb ram can't play the file, it just stops as soon as any action happens using vlc.

weird thing is that i can play a 1080p wmv (downloaded from microsoft) on both machines with vlc. it is slightly faster on my macbook compared to my pc...i guess its how it's encoded

14. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Okay, I just dropped in an AMD X2 4200+ and a 500W PSU.

This is my "test" file...

Video: Windows Meda Andvanced Profile (VC-1)(1pass CBR) (1920 x 1080 / 29.97 fps / 11325kbs)
    1920x1080p
    Audio: Windows Mega Audio 9.1 (1 pass CBR) 440kbps, 48Khz, 5.1, 24 bit CBR

Size is a little short of a 1/2 DVD5. Quality is still amazing tho.

It plays better, but jumping around the video with the seekbar isnt much improved. Also, I have another problem that could be my monitor I guess. Whenever I go to play HD and right when I close Windows Media Player, my monitor flickers.

15. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Do you have the latest video drivers? Side note, changing your CPU was the best course of action over your harddrive interface like that other idiot suggested. Make sure you're not using programs that eat up memory and such and your system is in good working order. Your video card is still a little light, but it shouldn't be a deterrant. Your harddrive is fine.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I don't think he was far off the mark with the software angle.

The first thing I thought of, is what media player is he using?

I would suggest getting the klite codec pack and playing the videos with media player classic ftw.