Got a question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I was told to have true surround sound then the surround speakers must be in mono while the other speakers use 5.1 dolby digital.

Could someone confirm and explain this.

Also here's my setup.

My setup goes like this. TV-->RF MODULATOR --> Audio into cd/dvd on reciever and Video in the DVD Video out

Now:

The DVD --> Coaxial Digital plug into Reciever.

When I do a test signal -to the speakers- w/ my reciever it shows: Dolby Digital 2/0 (which I believe means it's not true Dolby) Though sound comes through all the speakers -when playing (true) dvd's.

I have Diff surround sound settings on the Reciever (surround/audio 1/audio2 audio 3/ L. House/Jazz/Game. The dolby digital light pops up only when I have it set on audio 1=2=3. (but if I do a surround sound test during the playing of a dvd it still scrolls dolby digital 2/0 after the test is done :dunno: )

I have checked the dvd audio settings and lo and behold 42108 was right and the audio was set to stereo instead of dolby surround so I've fixed that.

So what's this about the surround sound being on mono?

this is a guess but I'll take a shot in the dark. On the back of the sub there are two speaker plugs for right and left speakers (and also two input plugs for an amp {both too and from} ) The sub has an internal amp of 50 watts from what the manual says.

I've never understood what these plugs were for b/c the manual doesn't say anything about thier function but could these be the plugs for the surround?

2. 04

04 Guest

The reason that the surround is mono is because dolby prologic only gives you a mono rear channel. You can have two speakers, but the same sound will come out of both.

By definition, you cannot have a 5.1 dolby digital signal played back, if you only have a mono surround sound output.

Im not quite sure I understand how you have your audio system set up? Are you using the klipsch computer speakers, AND the reciever you have? Or the other system? Until you see a dolby digital light, or 5ch or something like that, as long as it still says dolby 2/0 you are only getting a stereo signal.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

On the display... where it shows stuff like tv/sat or cd/dvd or tuner... up near the top of that lcd screen in small letters it says dolby surround ok. That dolby surround stays there while I play dvd's and whatnot.

BUT

If I do a speaker test... static goes through all the speakers and then in large letters that scroll across the lcd menu it says Dolby Digital 2/0. Once that message has gone across once it goes back to CD/DVD.

I'm using the yamaha system with the sony reciever.

I'm prob. only confusing you more. :/

4. 04

04 Guest

Does the LCD say dolby 5.1 surround? Or just surround?

The static speaker test has nothing to do with you having dolby digital setup correctly. It will play through all 5 speakers regardless if it has a dolby digital input signal or not.

So you are sure that on the DVD player's audio output, it is set to bitstream/raw (or something similar) and NOT PCM?

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Right. I was just trying to emphasize that it was the only time I would see the dolby digital 2/0 scroll across the screen was after a static speaker test. (I have no idea why that is)

The LCD, from memory, says Dolby Surround. I think the dvd audio output is set to PCM/Stream but that's a guess. I'll check when I get home.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

7. 04

04 Guest

Actually, I think you are mistaking dolby digital I and II for dolby prologic I and II. There is no Dolby Digital 2 to my knowledge.

However, I wouldnt be too concerned over lack of dolby prologic II unless you watch a LOT of tv that is encoded that way.

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Your right. Dolby Prologic II was what I am speaking of. Yes, I'm not worried but I thought it could be the reason why it would say Dolby Digital 2/0. I'm stuck. I have no idea why it's saying this.