Got a question...might be stupid..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Axespeed, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

I've been riding my boy's '07 R6 for a while now, every chance i get i hop on it.

My question is, to those of you who have bikes and not cars, how is it like just having a bike.
    I can't decide if i should buy a bike or get a car then later a bike.
    With just a bike you have problems like rain, no space for things, etc.

But the flipside is that with a car, i'm thinking you don't ride the bike as much (depending on how addicted you are) and it becomes a waste of money, sort of, to get the bike...

Anyone follow?

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

You will find most people here will tell you to suck it up and ride in the rain.

No space for things is a downside, but now you no longer have to haul your friends around :dunno:

Agreed. I just take insurance off my car for the riding season and stick solely with the bike :hsd:

3. Pilky

Pilky New Member

Get a car first.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the first day you have to ride in gale force winds with rain stinging you will be cussing up a storm for not having a car. :)

That said, in college I rode a Yamaha XT250 all year long. in winter I actually rode with ski boots on dragging my feet through 2 feet of snow because I didn't have a car at the time. Won't do that shit again.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I spent a year with just a CBR and no car, being your in Fl weather wouldnt be to big of a worry(ridden in plenty of down pours it aint nothing) Lack of space for stuff really sucks unless you got someone who's car is easily borrowalble.

Some years I've put more miles on the bike then car. If you really want a bike, I'd say buy something used then just buy a beater car for the times you need space.

6. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I sold my car shortly after buying my bike thinking I would not need a car and even if I did I would use my fiances car. That was a joke. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to pick up something simple and I couldn't. Yes I drove in the rain many times but if I had a choice driving in a car will ALWAYS win. I was without a car for about 7 months.

After the seven months my brother gave me his 96 Montero that's been sitting in garage collecting dust. I had to fix a few leaks here and there but all in all I'm glad I have for those particular occasions.

7. Axespeed

yeah so pretty much what i was thinking.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have both. I could see myself using the bike more often during days. School/Gym/Friend's houses.
    But then i'll need the car for like shopping, maybe driving my lil bro places, etc.
    Snowy weather obviously wouldn't be a problem, except Miami gets RAINY summers. But i know many people who ride carefully in the rain with helmets and they're fine.
    I'm thinking i should hold off on the bike though and go with the car first.

With that said, how old were you guys when you first got your own bike?

8. Axespeed

also one of my biggest problems is that when i want something, i usually try to get it ASAP. so now i'm in this bike dilemma and i can't get both car and bike yet.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

First minibike was at 6 years old(but parents bought that). First bike I paid for was an enduro at 12, first street bike at 16. I was riding the enduro though on the streets at 14. Lived in a ranching/farming area so police had no problems with kids riding them on the country roads just as long as we followed the rules. We were already driving trucks and tractors on the roads for the farms/ranches.

10. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i'd say buy a cheap car and a cheap bike. if you buy a wrecked bike and rebuild it, it'll be a lot cheaper than buying new. actually if its your first bike, dont buy new anyway, you'll more than likely drop it once anyway, and fixing plastics is exensive.

that said, i got my first beater beginner bike when i was 18 for $60 at an auction. it was a piece, but it was a bike. sold it a year later for about what i had into it. then i got my next bike at 19; a yamaha xj600 which i'm currently trying to sell to finance the TL1000S i just fixed up.

11. noxxs

noxxs New Member

also bikes take a lot of maitenance, so if you'll have to be willing to be out of a ride for a day or two while you wait for parts. if you buy new, it won't be as bad, but it'll still happen.

12. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Car first bike second